Dec 17, 2010, 2:13 PM EDT
The 18-8 Utah Jazz will get better tonight. Soon that may be significantly better.
Center Mehmet Okur — out since rupturing his Achilles tendon in the first game of the playoffs last season — will suit up and come off the bench for the Jazz tonight, the team announced at shoot around this morning. Not a lot, just 5 or 10 minutes off the bench, but he will play.
Okur brings floor spacing, a deadly pick-and-pop game, and rebounding. He joins Paul Millsap, Al Jefferson and Andrei Kirilenko to make one of the better front lines in the league and one with a lot of versatility. Jerry Sloan likes versatility. Oh, the Jazz have that Deron Williams guy too, I hear he’s pretty good.
The Jazz are good without him, with Okur they move up a notch. Probably not “beat a healthy Lakers team in a seven game series” notch, but you can bet the Mavericks and Spurs would like to avoid them for as long as possible.
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (66)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'