Dec 17, 2010, 8:02 PM EDT
We were not expecting to see Joe Johnson return to the Hawks lineup after elbow surgery until we had all sung Auld Lang Syne and then the next morning tried to remember through the blur what we had done the night before for New Year’s Eve.
But there he was Friday night, starting for the Atlanta Hawks against the Bobcats.
Johnson — the team’s leading scorer and clutch go-to-guy last season who signed a six-year max extension this summer — started this season struggling with his shot. His field goal percentage had fallen .50 points, his three point shooting was down to 25.6 percent (from 36.9 percent last season). After looking for a cause he had arthroscopic surgery on his right elbow.
In his absence, the Hawks were 5-4, but have lost their last two. If the playoffs started today the Hawks would be the sixth seed in the East.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 0
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 2
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 6
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 13
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 4
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games