Dec 16, 2010, 4:04 PM EST
It looked bad when it happened Wednesday night — Rajon Rondo wanted to drive the lane against the Knicks, went right and tried to plant for a cut and his ankle just rolled. About as far as an ankle can roll.
He came back in and played, but those things are often worse the next morning. That was the case here (although we might have guessed as much after Rondo was on crutches after the game).
Celtics GM Danny Ainge went on WEEI in Boston this afternoon and said that Rondo will be out for “a couple of weeks” due to the ankle injury.
Rondo has been battling a variety of little injuries so a couple weeks off to get everything right is the prudent course of action. It’s also the Celtics modus operandi to worry about guys being healthy for the playoffs and resting them more during the regular season to make sure of it (although usually that applies more to older players).
You’re about to see a lot more Nate Robinson, who should stop trying to jump on Paul Pierce’s back and risking injury to himself. Shaquille O’Neal remains out for a few more games due to a calf injury; both Jermaine O’Neal and Kendrick Perkins are a little farther away than that.
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 7
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 8
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 24
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)