Dec 16, 2010, 4:04 PM EST
It looked bad when it happened Wednesday night — Rajon Rondo wanted to drive the lane against the Knicks, went right and tried to plant for a cut and his ankle just rolled. About as far as an ankle can roll.
He came back in and played, but those things are often worse the next morning. That was the case here (although we might have guessed as much after Rondo was on crutches after the game).
Celtics GM Danny Ainge went on WEEI in Boston this afternoon and said that Rondo will be out for “a couple of weeks” due to the ankle injury.
Rondo has been battling a variety of little injuries so a couple weeks off to get everything right is the prudent course of action. It’s also the Celtics modus operandi to worry about guys being healthy for the playoffs and resting them more during the regular season to make sure of it (although usually that applies more to older players).
You’re about to see a lot more Nate Robinson, who should stop trying to jump on Paul Pierce’s back and risking injury to himself. Shaquille O’Neal remains out for a few more games due to a calf injury; both Jermaine O’Neal and Kendrick Perkins are a little farther away than that.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 23
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 38
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28