Dec 16, 2010, 9:48 AM EDT
Karen Davidson inherited the Detroit Pistons when her husband Bill passed away last year. The Pistons were his passion, not hers, she didn’t want to run a team. So she hired Citi Private Bank Sports Advisory to help her sell the Pistons and the Palace.
They found a buyer in Michael Ilitch — who already owned the Detroit Red Wings and Tigers. It seemed a great fit as the founder of the Little Caesars Pizza had plenty of cash to make the deal happen (he is worth $1.7 billion).
Then it hit a stumbling block recently. Forbes’ Mike Ozanian explained what happened.
According to one person familiar with the negotiations, after agreeing to a price in excess of $400 million (my source was not more specific), Ilitch discovered the revenues presented in the prospectus were inflated. Ilitch, one of the great gentleman owners in sports, got pissed, lowered his offer price and the deal quickly blew up. I hope to find out more about the actual price in the near future. But from what I am hearing it will now be hard for Davidson to get $400 million for the team given the Ilitch debacle and dismal state of Detroit’s economy.
It is possible Ilitch still ends up with the team, but it looks like this is going to take a while.
- Report: Dwight Howard not going to Clippers… did we need a report for that? 0
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” 13
- Spurs shut down Zach Randolph in Western Conference Finals’ first major strategic move 0
- Report: Terrence Williams arrested in domestic violence case involving threats with a gun 5
- Kobe was never going to retire this summer, says so on twitter 16
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (90)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay