Dec 15, 2010, 11:49 AM EDT
Usually when you talk about playing too many video games you’re talking about the national childhood obesity problem. Well, that or you’re an over 50 curmudgeon and think all video games are a blight — “We didn’t have them growing up in the 60s and we got along just fine… by doing a lot of drugs.” You know, that kind of logic.
But when Ron Artest was talking about playing too many video games Tuesday night, he was talking about JaVale McGee — one of the five most freakish athletes in a league full of freakish athletes. McGee racked up 12 points and 9 rebounds against the Lakers but Artest became the latest in a long line of people questioning McGee’s feel for the game. Artest just did it much more creatively to Michael Lee of the Washington Post.
“He potentially could be a really good player,” Artest said. “I think he got to go to school a little bit more. He’s got to work on that IQ a little bit. He got to watch more tape. I don’t think he watches tape. I think he plays video games. I do. I don’t think he watches tape. I think he plays video games and I think he could possibly have an Atari. He should upgrade to a Play Station.”
Atari? He’s that out of date?
“Possibly Atari,” Artest said. “He could potentially become a force, if, if he wants to. But if he doesn’t, he can continue to play Atari.”
Damn. That is a smack. But he’s not the first Laker to do it, remember Lamar Odom back at Team USA basketball camp this summer said McGee needed to develop a better feel because “the game is called basketball, not run and jump.”
McGee though will continue to rack up the NBA Jam level highlights so long as John Wall is throwing him ally-oops.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25