Dec 15, 2010, 11:49 AM EDT
Usually when you talk about playing too many video games you’re talking about the national childhood obesity problem. Well, that or you’re an over 50 curmudgeon and think all video games are a blight — “We didn’t have them growing up in the 60s and we got along just fine… by doing a lot of drugs.” You know, that kind of logic.
But when Ron Artest was talking about playing too many video games Tuesday night, he was talking about JaVale McGee — one of the five most freakish athletes in a league full of freakish athletes. McGee racked up 12 points and 9 rebounds against the Lakers but Artest became the latest in a long line of people questioning McGee’s feel for the game. Artest just did it much more creatively to Michael Lee of the Washington Post.
“He potentially could be a really good player,” Artest said. “I think he got to go to school a little bit more. He’s got to work on that IQ a little bit. He got to watch more tape. I don’t think he watches tape. I think he plays video games. I do. I don’t think he watches tape. I think he plays video games and I think he could possibly have an Atari. He should upgrade to a Play Station.”
Atari? He’s that out of date?
“Possibly Atari,” Artest said. “He could potentially become a force, if, if he wants to. But if he doesn’t, he can continue to play Atari.”
Damn. That is a smack. But he’s not the first Laker to do it, remember Lamar Odom back at Team USA basketball camp this summer said McGee needed to develop a better feel because “the game is called basketball, not run and jump.”
McGee though will continue to rack up the NBA Jam level highlights so long as John Wall is throwing him ally-oops.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 2
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 3
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 14
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5