Dec 15, 2010, 1:35 AM EDT
UPDATE 1:33 am: After his nightly news broadcast, KGMH sports anchor Lionel Bienvenu clarified his news station’s tweet saying “No, Melo was not traded. Deal is in works. Trade could happen.” So, what the rest of us have been hearing for weeks. This does not explain why the original tweet was sent out saying the deal was done but we can safely bet somebody got well chewed out over this.
Also, both Carmelo Anthony and Nuggets GM Masai Ujiri told the Associated Press there was nothing at all too this rumor.
Sorry folks, false alarm. This time. But with the moves the Nets made with the Terrence Williams trade it is pretty clear they are going to make a pitch for an Anthony trade. Just not yet.
12:35 am: According to the twitter account of KGMH, the local ABC affiliate in Denver, the Denver Nuggets have agreed to a trade that would send Carmelo Anthony to the New Jersey Nets. New Jersey has had Anthony in their sights for a while now, and the three-way trade the Nets made earlier today was seen as a precursor to a possible Carmelo deal.
At this point, this is just a report: trade rumor guru Adrian Wojnarowski tweeted that a high-ranking executive told him that any report that New Jersey and Denver have completed a trade is “completely and utterly false” just minutes after KGMH reported that the deal was going down. About an hour before the report, Anthony’s official twitter account retweeted the following statement from “@TEAMCARMELO15″:
IF U FOLLOWING ME PLZ STOP WITH THE @carmeloanthony RUMORS! I KNOW FOR FACT THAT EVERYTHING Y’ALL HEARING ISN’T TRUE. SO PLZZZ STOP!!
Obviously, it’s fairly hard to sort out exactly what’s going on with a potential Carmelo deal right now. We’ll keep you updated as we hear about new developments.
Update: According to Chris Tomasson, the rumor is officially false: “A Nuggets official said rumor is false. I just talked to Melo and he said, ‘It’s terrible. There’s no truth to it.’”
Tune in tomorrow for another episode of the Carmelo soap opera.
- Report: Terrence Williams arrested in domestic violence case involving threats with a gun 4
- Kobe was never going to retire this summer, says so on twitter 11
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 84
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 20
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (84)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay