Dec 15, 2010, 2:53 PM EST
We’re not telling you about this because it is likely to happen — you’re more likely to read a headline that says “President Obama, Rush Limbaugh now BFFs” — but rather to show just how widespread the interest in Carmelo Anthony is around the league.
The Dallas Mavericks have “continued to touch base” with the Denver Nuggets about Carmelo Anthony, according to Mike Fisher at Dallasbasketball.com.
This isn’t going to happen for a lot of reasons. One is that Denver wants to get Anthony out of the Western Conference if they trade him. Another is the Mavericks trade package — likely Caron Butler and his expiring deal, Rodrigue Beaubois and filler — is not heavy on young talent and draft picks the Nuggets want. Like the Nets are already offering. Oh, and there’s that little thing where Anthony wants to go to New York. We could go on, but you get the point
But the Mavericks contact with Denver illustrates the depth of interest out there from teams. Numerous other franchises whose names will never be mentioned in the Anthony sweepstakes will call Denver to kick the tires on a deal. See if anything is there. It’s how the league works, some level of these conversations happen all the time.
Doesn’t mean Melo is going to Dallas. He’s not.
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 6
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 3
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 17
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 46
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 45