Dec 15, 2010, 6:52 PM EDT
Last season the Bucks offense was no juggernaut — they finished 23rd in the league in offensive efficiency — but especially after the addition of John Salmons midseason they scored enough points so that, paired with one of the best defenses in the league, they were a threat.
This season, the Bucks defense is even better than last year. But the offense…
Ugh. Milwaukee is 29th in efficiency and it is primarily because they are shooting the ball terribly — they are dead last in the league whether you go with the 41 percent field goal percentage or the 44.5 percent eFG% (accounting for the additional boost of three pointers). Salmons has been off and coach Scott Skiles has been looking for answers.
He may have found one recently and Skiles made it official today (via the Journal Sentinel’s Charles Gardner on twitter) that he will keep his smaller lineup going by starting Chris Douglas-Roberts and Ersan Ilyasova. That lineup includes Brandon Jennings, Salmons (who may be snapping out of his slump) and Andrew Bogut. (Salmons and Bogut are game time decisions tonight due to injuries.)
That lineup has shown promise in the last couple games and variations of it have worked well in limited minutes, Zach Lowe of Sports Illustrated’s Point Forward noticed and researched. Douglas-Roberts has really boosted the Bucks so long as he is not put next to Corey Maggette, at which time the defensive problems far outweigh any boost in offense.
It something to watch, because the Bucks don’t have to be good on offense, they just have to not be bad. And they may be figuring out how to do that.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 5
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5