Dec 14, 2010, 10:25 AM EDT
Yao Ming is a competitor. Nobody faults the man for work ethic. He wants to be on the court and he’s ready now. At least he thinks he is. Yao did everything but start signing “put me in coach, I’m ready to play, today” when he talked with the Houston Chronicle about his recovery from a sprained ankle and bruised bone in that ankle.
“I’m waiting for the green light,” Yao said. “When? I don’t know. I feel better. It still has some weakness. I’m just not ready to sit out for almost 20 games, particularly when I feel I’m OK. I know when I was in the walking boot, on the crutches, OK, I understand.
“I won’t push the trainer or the doctor. They all try to treat me the best that they can. I know they try to find the best way for me to get back on the court.”
Aaron Brooks may beat Yao back — the speedy point guard is practicing with the team but has not been cleared to play yet.
The Rockets have won four of their last six despite these two key cogs sitting out.
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 1
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 11
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 48
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights