Dec 14, 2010, 5:27 PM EDT
UPDATE 5:27 pm: The Nuggets are officially calling it a “partially torn ligament” in his wrist, which is one way of saying a bad sprain. This is likely residual from a Nov.20 fall against the Nets, Billups has played through wrist pain ever since.
3:17 pm: It was a surprise — Chauncey Billups walked out the Denver Nuggets shootaround Tuesday morning before their game in Orlando with a sore wrist.
Now he will be out about a week because of his wrist, according to Benjamin Hochman of the Denver Post (via twitter). The exact nature of the injury is not yet known. A week would mean missing games against the Magic Tuesday, the Spurs Thursday and the Timberwolves on Saturday. Next up after that is the Spurs again Dec. 22.
No Billups means a lot more Ty Lawson at the point. In very limited minutes Lawson has looked good with Denver’s other starting four, but this will be a much bigger test.
- Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too 3
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 13
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 8
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 3
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19