Dec 14, 2010, 5:27 PM EDT
UPDATE 5:27 pm: The Nuggets are officially calling it a “partially torn ligament” in his wrist, which is one way of saying a bad sprain. This is likely residual from a Nov.20 fall against the Nets, Billups has played through wrist pain ever since.
3:17 pm: It was a surprise — Chauncey Billups walked out the Denver Nuggets shootaround Tuesday morning before their game in Orlando with a sore wrist.
Now he will be out about a week because of his wrist, according to Benjamin Hochman of the Denver Post (via twitter). The exact nature of the injury is not yet known. A week would mean missing games against the Magic Tuesday, the Spurs Thursday and the Timberwolves on Saturday. Next up after that is the Spurs again Dec. 22.
No Billups means a lot more Ty Lawson at the point. In very limited minutes Lawson has looked good with Denver’s other starting four, but this will be a much bigger test.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 12
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 20
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14