Dec 14, 2010, 5:27 PM EST
UPDATE 5:27 pm: The Nuggets are officially calling it a “partially torn ligament” in his wrist, which is one way of saying a bad sprain. This is likely residual from a Nov.20 fall against the Nets, Billups has played through wrist pain ever since.
3:17 pm: It was a surprise — Chauncey Billups walked out the Denver Nuggets shootaround Tuesday morning before their game in Orlando with a sore wrist.
Now he will be out about a week because of his wrist, according to Benjamin Hochman of the Denver Post (via twitter). The exact nature of the injury is not yet known. A week would mean missing games against the Magic Tuesday, the Spurs Thursday and the Timberwolves on Saturday. Next up after that is the Spurs again Dec. 22.
No Billups means a lot more Ty Lawson at the point. In very limited minutes Lawson has looked good with Denver’s other starting four, but this will be a much bigger test.
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 13: Talking Asik, Gasol trades plus NBA Draft with Rob Dauster 0
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. 23
- Report: Grizzlies shopping Zach Randolph around, want deal with Pelicans 6
- Nets notes: Kidd takes some credit, Lopez downplays injury, and Pierce off the bench 2
- Report: Knicks’ owner shoots down trade to get team Kyle Lowry 26
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (64)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (52)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)