Dec 13, 2010, 5:36 PM EDT
Hasheem Thabeet was drafted out of Connecticut No. 2 overall as a project, nobody expected anything special right away but given time he would improve. He would take steady steps forward every season and become a top-flight center down the line.
So how is he doing in his second season? Well, he’s shooting 46.7 percent, down from 58.8 percent last season, and he seems less confident as he is shooting less. His rebounding is down to 9.3 percent of the available rebounds (that’s a small forward number not a 7-footer number and well off his 16.1 percent last season). His assists are down and his turnovers are way up – 27 percent of his possessions used end in a turnover.
And now all that can be yours — Memphis has put Thabeet out there as someone they wish to trade, according to David Aldridge of NBA.com. Simply put Marc Gasol is the center of the future, they have Zach Randolph and so you can have Thabeet.
The best part is Thabeet is not inexpensive — he is slated to make $5.1 million next season and $6.4 million the season after if you pick up his option. It’s a rookie deal but a No. 2 overall rookie deal.
However, if another team is willing to take on a project, if it has a “bigs whisperer” then maybe… nah, seriously. Memphis you may be stuck with this one for a while. If you move him it’s as salary filler.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 18
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona