Dec 13, 2010, 4:02 PM EDT
Mr. President Barack Obama, why not just have the Lakers over to the White House again like you did last year?
“Kobe and Derek have been there so often they could lead tours by themselves. Same for Coach Jackson.” (via the LA Times Mike Bresnahan’s twitter account)
So they packed up the standard event every title team has and moved it to a Washington D.C. area Boys & Girls Club. The team got there early, sat down with the children and helped compose letters to service men and women stationed overseas during the holidays, turning the photo op into a charity event with a photo op.
Who was the most popular Laker with the kids? Mr. Kardashian (Lamar Odom) of course, because they all saw him on that reality show. Also, Lakers.com reporter Mike Trudell (who also took the photo on this page) noted that Ron Artest related very well to the 8-year-olds. (Go ahead and make that joke yourself.)
When the basketball savvy president arrived, he spoke with the players, ribbed Jackson about having one more ring with Obama’s Bulls than with the Lakers and just hung out. He talked with Shannon Brown and told Artest he’d love to play hoops with him someday.
It was all a bit contrived, still, some kind of public service instead of just a bunch of hand shaking and posing for photos is not a bad tradition to start.
- Report: Rockets want to trade Jeremy Lin to Lakers 0
- LeBron to Cleveland first domino, what’s next? Bosh to Rockets, and much more 18
- LeBron James in his own words on why he chose Cleveland 73
- LeBron James going home, to sign with Cleveland Cavaliers 222
- While waiting on Plan A to make up his mind, Lakers mulling Plan B options 25
- Report: Heat and Cavaliers expect decision before LeBron James leaves for Sunday’s World Cup final 59
- Reports: Carmelo Anthony unsure on Knicks, can’t get the Bulls out of his head 55
- Phil Jackson says he has not heard from Carmelo, has tried to recruit Gasol 36