Dec 13, 2010, 4:02 PM EDT
Mr. President Barack Obama, why not just have the Lakers over to the White House again like you did last year?
“Kobe and Derek have been there so often they could lead tours by themselves. Same for Coach Jackson.” (via the LA Times Mike Bresnahan’s twitter account)
So they packed up the standard event every title team has and moved it to a Washington D.C. area Boys & Girls Club. The team got there early, sat down with the children and helped compose letters to service men and women stationed overseas during the holidays, turning the photo op into a charity event with a photo op.
Who was the most popular Laker with the kids? Mr. Kardashian (Lamar Odom) of course, because they all saw him on that reality show. Also, Lakers.com reporter Mike Trudell (who also took the photo on this page) noted that Ron Artest related very well to the 8-year-olds. (Go ahead and make that joke yourself.)
When the basketball savvy president arrived, he spoke with the players, ribbed Jackson about having one more ring with Obama’s Bulls than with the Lakers and just hung out. He talked with Shannon Brown and told Artest he’d love to play hoops with him someday.
It was all a bit contrived, still, some kind of public service instead of just a bunch of hand shaking and posing for photos is not a bad tradition to start.
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 2
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 13
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 7
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 68
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 65
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14
- Report: Knicks open to trading Iman Shumpert or J.R. Smith 29
- Top seven free agents still on the market 49