Dec 13, 2010, 11:26 PM EDT
This whole Carmelo Anthony trade thing is starting to sound like a Monty Python skit. No it isn’t. Yes it is. No it isn’t. Yes it is. Isn’t. Is.
Two days ago came the report that Anthony would only sign an extension with the New York Knicks. Then today another report said the Nets and maybe the Nuggets still had a shot (something the author of the original report denied). Somewhere on the sidelines the Houston Rockets are jumping up and down saying, “look at me, look at me.”
Monday night, Anthony told FanHouse that he did not give an ultimatum to the Nuggets.
“No,” Anthony said when asked if there’s any truth to it. “I haven’t talked to Masai (Ujiri, the Nuggets executive vice president of basketball operations) about who I would sign an extension with, and who I want to sign with. I’ve never had that conversation.”
Let’s break this down, and we’ll give you the five-minute argument not the full half hour.
Of course Anthony did not tell Ujiri this directly — that’s what the people at CAA are for. You know, Anthony’s agents and managers. World Wide Wes. This stuff is never handled through the front door, it’s always though channels. Anthony will forever have plausible deniability.
So Anthony did not tell the Nuggets anything. What his people told the Nuggets, what Anthony said in his private conversations with Ujiri, who knows? Most likely Anthony’s people are playing hardball and saying Knicks only, Denver’s side thinking there is more in play. That by the way is speculation, and you could spin 100 scenarios just like it you could be right.
So Anthony is not lying, he didn’t say anything. But that doesn’t mean that some kind of ultimatum has not been delivered.
And now for something completely different.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 17
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 15
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10