Dec 13, 2010, 11:26 PM EDT
This whole Carmelo Anthony trade thing is starting to sound like a Monty Python skit. No it isn’t. Yes it is. No it isn’t. Yes it is. Isn’t. Is.
Two days ago came the report that Anthony would only sign an extension with the New York Knicks. Then today another report said the Nets and maybe the Nuggets still had a shot (something the author of the original report denied). Somewhere on the sidelines the Houston Rockets are jumping up and down saying, “look at me, look at me.”
Monday night, Anthony told FanHouse that he did not give an ultimatum to the Nuggets.
“No,” Anthony said when asked if there’s any truth to it. “I haven’t talked to Masai (Ujiri, the Nuggets executive vice president of basketball operations) about who I would sign an extension with, and who I want to sign with. I’ve never had that conversation.”
Let’s break this down, and we’ll give you the five-minute argument not the full half hour.
Of course Anthony did not tell Ujiri this directly — that’s what the people at CAA are for. You know, Anthony’s agents and managers. World Wide Wes. This stuff is never handled through the front door, it’s always though channels. Anthony will forever have plausible deniability.
So Anthony did not tell the Nuggets anything. What his people told the Nuggets, what Anthony said in his private conversations with Ujiri, who knows? Most likely Anthony’s people are playing hardball and saying Knicks only, Denver’s side thinking there is more in play. That by the way is speculation, and you could spin 100 scenarios just like it you could be right.
So Anthony is not lying, he didn’t say anything. But that doesn’t mean that some kind of ultimatum has not been delivered.
And now for something completely different.
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 10
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 20
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 54
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 17
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 34
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5