Dec 13, 2010, 11:24 AM EDT
Terrence Williams got a timeout in the D-League recently, sent down as a wake up call to start showing up to practice and shootarounds on time. The Nets turned the D-League into the equivalent of sending your kid to your room.
But that’s not what got through to him, it was a ball boy, a story first reported by the Star Ledger (and repeated on the Nets broadcast Sunday).
“One of the ball boys there was 12 years old,” Williams recalled. “I started the first game, I was like, ‘Do you watch the NBA?’ He said, ‘Yeah, you’re one of the players I (like to) watch. Why would you blow it?’ I was like, ‘What are you talking about?’ He said, ‘Why would you want to have an attitude, and be late – the simplest things you can control? And you get to be in the NBA? I would die to do that, so don’t blow it.’
“That’s a 12-year-old telling me that,” Williams said. “So I think that, and my mom crying was what really got to me. So down there, I decided to take everything serious, like I was here, as far as practicing and playing in a game.”
We’ll see if it lasts. Right now with rookie Damion James out they will need Williams to play more minutes.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 19
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 10
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 15
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months