Dec 13, 2010, 3:53 PM EDT
The Lakers had a full practice today in Washington D.C. before heading off to meet President Barack Obama, and it sounds like Andrew Bynum had the one full hard practice he wanted before he steps back out on the court (via the LA Times Mike Bresnahan’s twitter account).
“I’m definitely playing tomorrow”
The Lakers take on the Washington Wizards at the Verizon Center Tuesday night.
Bynum had knee surgery this summer but what was supposed to be a simple procedure ended up being more complex, meaning a longer recovery. Add in the usual slow healing of Bynum and you have him missing the first seven weeks of the season.
Without him the Lakers have been good but missing something on defense — Derrick Rose was slashing to the hoop with impunity last Friday night. When John Wall does it Tuesday night the 7’6” wingspan of Bynum will be there to alter and block shots. Bynum brings that and a real big body at the five which allows Pau Gasol to play his natural four, which makes the Lakers that much better (plus Lamar Odom goes to the bench and now that unit is better).
Nobody is rejoicing at the return like Gasol. Who likely will celebrate with a long soak in an ice bath. While in Texas Tim Duncan is barely getting into the fourth quarters of games and is getting a lot of rest early in the season, Gasol is playing more than 40 minutes in 8 of the last 10 Lakers’ games. If you don’t think that kind of rest can matter, remember the run the rested and healthy Celtics went on in the playoffs.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47