Dec 13, 2010, 3:53 PM EDT
The Lakers had a full practice today in Washington D.C. before heading off to meet President Barack Obama, and it sounds like Andrew Bynum had the one full hard practice he wanted before he steps back out on the court (via the LA Times Mike Bresnahan’s twitter account).
“I’m definitely playing tomorrow”
The Lakers take on the Washington Wizards at the Verizon Center Tuesday night.
Bynum had knee surgery this summer but what was supposed to be a simple procedure ended up being more complex, meaning a longer recovery. Add in the usual slow healing of Bynum and you have him missing the first seven weeks of the season.
Without him the Lakers have been good but missing something on defense — Derrick Rose was slashing to the hoop with impunity last Friday night. When John Wall does it Tuesday night the 7’6” wingspan of Bynum will be there to alter and block shots. Bynum brings that and a real big body at the five which allows Pau Gasol to play his natural four, which makes the Lakers that much better (plus Lamar Odom goes to the bench and now that unit is better).
Nobody is rejoicing at the return like Gasol. Who likely will celebrate with a long soak in an ice bath. While in Texas Tim Duncan is barely getting into the fourth quarters of games and is getting a lot of rest early in the season, Gasol is playing more than 40 minutes in 8 of the last 10 Lakers’ games. If you don’t think that kind of rest can matter, remember the run the rested and healthy Celtics went on in the playoffs.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 0
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 3
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31