Dec 12, 2010, 5:43 PM EDT
Chris Sheridan of ESPN New York is reporting that Denver Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony has informed his team he will only sign his extension if he is traded to the New York Knicks.
CBSSports.com’s Ken Berger has sources disputing the report that Melo has informed Denver, but confirms the decision: Melo will not re-sign unless he is traded to New York. Which means Denver now has a clear decision in front of them. They can either allow Melo to enter free-agency with the hopes of re-signing him, or trade him to New York to ensure that they receive something in return.
So that’s fun.
The Knicks beat the Nuggets today, which only had to hurt the situation, especially as Melo was given the equivalent of a love letter signed by the 19,387 in attendance. Melo said after the game that people were “shouting from windows” how much they wanted him in New York. That’s got to make a guy feel good.
The Nuggets have been playing better as of late, but the question still remains if they’re going anywhere. Meanwhile, the Knicks have rattled off eight in a row against largely underwhelming opposition (Boston and Miami provide an overdue reality check next week). Nuggets fans probably don’t want to give Melo the satisfaction of choosing where he gets to be traded to, but teams are very unlikely to trade for him with him saying he only wants to be in New York long-term. Even the Bobcats.
And so Denver has to make a decision, and once they do, the future of the franchise is changed forever. No biggie, Masai Ujiri. Good luck with that.
- Metta World Peace says Howard isn’t going anywhere because he has a hold on his… um… those 15
- In praise of the brilliant, baffling Manu Ginobili 19
- If Doc is out, who is in for Celtics? Maybe Del Negro, Frank 15
- Where does Celtics’ Rivers, Garnett trade to Clippers stand? They’re talking. 28
- Boris Diaw’s defense slowed LeBron down. I know, right? 26
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- PHT: Bruins go 'above and beyond' in Gm. 3
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury