Dec 12, 2010, 5:43 PM EDT
Chris Sheridan of ESPN New York is reporting that Denver Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony has informed his team he will only sign his extension if he is traded to the New York Knicks.
CBSSports.com’s Ken Berger has sources disputing the report that Melo has informed Denver, but confirms the decision: Melo will not re-sign unless he is traded to New York. Which means Denver now has a clear decision in front of them. They can either allow Melo to enter free-agency with the hopes of re-signing him, or trade him to New York to ensure that they receive something in return.
So that’s fun.
The Knicks beat the Nuggets today, which only had to hurt the situation, especially as Melo was given the equivalent of a love letter signed by the 19,387 in attendance. Melo said after the game that people were “shouting from windows” how much they wanted him in New York. That’s got to make a guy feel good.
The Nuggets have been playing better as of late, but the question still remains if they’re going anywhere. Meanwhile, the Knicks have rattled off eight in a row against largely underwhelming opposition (Boston and Miami provide an overdue reality check next week). Nuggets fans probably don’t want to give Melo the satisfaction of choosing where he gets to be traded to, but teams are very unlikely to trade for him with him saying he only wants to be in New York long-term. Even the Bobcats.
And so Denver has to make a decision, and once they do, the future of the franchise is changed forever. No biggie, Masai Ujiri. Good luck with that.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 5
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5