Dec 11, 2010, 2:30 PM EST
So the Knicks could be getting back their first round pick which they traded to Houston for Tracy McGrady in order to get more cap space to try and sign LeBron James/Dwyane Wade/Chris Bosh. Instead they signed Amar’e Stoudemire and traded David Lee to Golden State (sign-and-trade) for Anthony Randolph, Ronny Turiaf, and Kelenna Azubuike. With Randolph unable to work his way into the rotation again, proving that it wasn’t all Don Nelson’s fault, the Knicks now have an opportunity to trade Randolph for a first round pick back in order to help them trade it to get Carmelo Anthony.
The New York Daily News reports that an offer is on the table to send Anthony Randolph to Houston for a New York first-round pick. The Knicks have been shut out of any trade conversations with the Nuggets about Anthony because they don’t have their pick to send. Getting a pick back might go a long way in talking the Nuggets (who are considering Melo… again), and would give the Knicks the superstar combo they’ve been pursuing since this summer. The Rockets own the Knicks 2012 first rounder, and it’s not known at this time whether it would be Houston’s 2011 first rounder (which they can swap with the Knicks -which seems unlikely given how their seasons have gone), or the Knicks’ 2012 pick.
For Randolph, it’s a shame he’s never been able to put together his considerable skillset with the necessary basketball IQ to stay on the floor. His athleticism is off the charts and he’s still young, but his lack of composure and floor knowledge makes him a liability too often. He’s turnover prone and gets lost on the defensive end, two things which coaches absolutely hate. But Rick Adelman has helped make Jordan Hill into a serviceable NBA player, and they’ve had luck with lost projects. Taking on Randolph might be worth the pick to the Rockets.
The Knicks simply will not give up on the prospect of adding a high-usage, moderate-efficiency scorer with poor defensive principles who will take shots from the underrated All-Star that’s helped lead them to a seven game win-streak. Sounds about right.
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 0
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 3
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 2
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 6
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)