Dec 11, 2010, 5:00 PM EST
Could it be for all the talk, all the rumors, and all the clamoring that Carmelo Anthony simply winds up where he is now for the long-term?
Ken Berger of CBSSports.com reports that Carmelo Anthony has told the Nuggets he’ll “think about” signing the extension they’re offering which would keep him in Denver in the long-term. Melo has been on the trade block for months as it was thought he was considering heading elsewhere in free agent, spurring Denver to pursue discussions to get something back for him to a team he would sign the extension with. From CBSSports.com:
“I met with them last week and I told them I’d think about it,” Melo said. “Which is more than I’ve said. We’ll see. We’ve been having a lot of great conversations.”
Denver is now in a bizarre situation, but one they themselves have wanted. They have not wanted to give up on Melo re-signing in Denver, which would force a long and torturous rebuilding process. Getting him to commit would mean they could move forward with him as their star.
What that means, however, is a bit bizarre. This is an aging roster that peaked in 2009 with a Western Conference Finals appearance, but since then has not looked at all the part of a championship contender. It’s difficult to see what they could to make a championship team out of what they have on roster. Chauncey Billups is getting older, Kenyon Martin already is old (and is an expiring contract), Chris Andersen and J.R. Smith are… those guys. If Melo’s thinking about signing the extension, it must be because they’ve convinced him that they have a plan to build a contender. The model for how to accomplish that? That’s what remains a mystery to all of us.
It should also be noted that LeBron James gave Cleveland a similar set of ambiguous statements. Saying he’s considering it is far from actually signing it. Melo is obviously still leaving himself outs.
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 4
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 5
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 21
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 9
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)