Dec 10, 2010, 4:30 PM EST
UPDATE 4:30 pm: As we kind of expected, this seems to be a joke between the two via the media.
Stefan Bondy of the Daily News, who wrote the original story, got a text from Prokhorov in response to the original comment:
“I think Mark has it wrong. I don’t like cats.”
Other media there seemed to think there was a joking tone in what Cuban was saying.
10:00 am: Suddenly Mark Cuban is the king of the one-liner.
One liners that leave you guessing as to what is really going on. The latest comes via the New York Daily News, when before Cuban’s Mavericks went out and pounded the New Jersey Nets, he was asked about new Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov.
If this turns into anything more than playful teasing from one outspoken NBA owner to another, let it be known that Mark Cuban threw the first punch at Mikhail Prokhorov….
“He’s a p—y,” Cuban quipped Thursday when asked about Prokhorov…
“(Prokhorov) doesn’t come to games,” Cuban said. “Who the hell knows?”
Just a few thoughts.
The first is that we have no idea of the context here. Maybe the two have met or spoken, hit it off and this is just playful ribbing. Maybe not. We don’t really know, but it kind of struck me as guys being guys banter more than actual animosity. Who know really, though?
Secondly, if Cuban were a player who did that during a game he’d get a respect for the game technical. For owners, David Stern gives out those technical and it involves writing checks. Could happen.
Third, and this is just more of a personal note from me as a Los Angeles native — I want Cuban to buy the Dodgers. Now more than ever. Make it happen for me, Mark.
- Wesley Matthew’s injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 10
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 4
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14