Dec 10, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
UPDATE 4:30 pm: As we kind of expected, this seems to be a joke between the two via the media.
Stefan Bondy of the Daily News, who wrote the original story, got a text from Prokhorov in response to the original comment:
“I think Mark has it wrong. I don’t like cats.”
Other media there seemed to think there was a joking tone in what Cuban was saying.
10:00 am: Suddenly Mark Cuban is the king of the one-liner.
One liners that leave you guessing as to what is really going on. The latest comes via the New York Daily News, when before Cuban’s Mavericks went out and pounded the New Jersey Nets, he was asked about new Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov.
If this turns into anything more than playful teasing from one outspoken NBA owner to another, let it be known that Mark Cuban threw the first punch at Mikhail Prokhorov….
“He’s a p—y,” Cuban quipped Thursday when asked about Prokhorov…
“(Prokhorov) doesn’t come to games,” Cuban said. “Who the hell knows?”
Just a few thoughts.
The first is that we have no idea of the context here. Maybe the two have met or spoken, hit it off and this is just playful ribbing. Maybe not. We don’t really know, but it kind of struck me as guys being guys banter more than actual animosity. Who know really, though?
Secondly, if Cuban were a player who did that during a game he’d get a respect for the game technical. For owners, David Stern gives out those technical and it involves writing checks. Could happen.
Third, and this is just more of a personal note from me as a Los Angeles native — I want Cuban to buy the Dodgers. Now more than ever. Make it happen for me, Mark.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 18
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona