Dec 10, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
UPDATE 4:30 pm: As we kind of expected, this seems to be a joke between the two via the media.
Stefan Bondy of the Daily News, who wrote the original story, got a text from Prokhorov in response to the original comment:
“I think Mark has it wrong. I don’t like cats.”
Other media there seemed to think there was a joking tone in what Cuban was saying.
10:00 am: Suddenly Mark Cuban is the king of the one-liner.
One liners that leave you guessing as to what is really going on. The latest comes via the New York Daily News, when before Cuban’s Mavericks went out and pounded the New Jersey Nets, he was asked about new Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov.
If this turns into anything more than playful teasing from one outspoken NBA owner to another, let it be known that Mark Cuban threw the first punch at Mikhail Prokhorov….
“He’s a p—y,” Cuban quipped Thursday when asked about Prokhorov…
“(Prokhorov) doesn’t come to games,” Cuban said. “Who the hell knows?”
Just a few thoughts.
The first is that we have no idea of the context here. Maybe the two have met or spoken, hit it off and this is just playful ribbing. Maybe not. We don’t really know, but it kind of struck me as guys being guys banter more than actual animosity. Who know really, though?
Secondly, if Cuban were a player who did that during a game he’d get a respect for the game technical. For owners, David Stern gives out those technical and it involves writing checks. Could happen.
Third, and this is just more of a personal note from me as a Los Angeles native — I want Cuban to buy the Dodgers. Now more than ever. Make it happen for me, Mark.
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 0
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 6
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10