Dec 10, 2010, 10:13 PM EDT
Gary Chouest was oh, so close to buying the New Orleans Hornets. He already had 25 percent and was going to buy out the rest from George Shinn. Then he got a better look at the $83 million in debt they had, or his business supplying vessels to the off-shore gulf oil industry took a big hit after the BP oil spill, or whatever the reason he decided to pull back.
When he stepped away from buying the Hornets the league had to step in and take over the team, purchasing all of it from George Shinn. The league is also buying Chouest’s minority share.
But don’t thing that Chouest wants the team out of town. That’s not what he told the Associated Press. He said his goal is to keep the team in the city and didn’t rule out some level of future interest.
“As far as my future involvement, the purpose hasn’t changed as to why I invested from Day 1,” Chouest said. “The same situation still exists and the same reasoning for continuing to support the team still exists.”
Just to be clear, he wants all the perks of the Hornets in New Orleans, he just doesn’t want to be the one who has to pay for it. How very American.
Chouest would not comment on why his negotiations to buy the team fell apart.
David Stern has said the goal with the Hornets is to find an owner who wants to buy the team — at a nice little markup over what the league paid — and keep the team in New Orleans. How they accomplish that remains to be seen as the Hornets have some serious financial issues.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 21
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 18
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead