Dec 10, 2010, 10:56 AM EST
The future of the New Orleans Hornets could not be cloudier right now. Might as well consult Ms. Cleo or Nostradamus’ quatrains for an answer as to where they will be in a couple years because their visions of the future are probably as clear as David Stern’s right now.
Chris Paul could use this as the opportunity to push for his way out of town, but he is not choosing that path. He emphasized it again to Marc Stein of ESPN.
“That’s a bridge I’ll cross when I’ll get to it,” Paul told ESPN.com on Wednesday night. “But right now I’m here, you know what I mean? I’m one of those guys that I’m too close to my teammates and with this city — and my family’s the same way — to ever even think about being somewhere else.
“Everything right now is about how we can get our team to win a championship; I can’t distance myself from that. ‘Cause I feel like if I take my mind to another place to be with another team, then I have to distance myself. I can’t do that. I’ve never been that person.
“This hasn’t impacted [my future],” Paul continued. “I think it’s about the now. That’s all I’m worried about. I don’t think about [the future] too much. I really don’t.”
In the short term, Paul is not going anywhere anyway. To get the best price for the Hornets — and David Stern has said he wants to turn a profit on this transaction — you need the team’s best asset to be in place. The Hornets are worth less without Paul, the league is not going to move him.
Next year, in the final year of his deal, he could be in the Carmelo Anthony situation — an extension on the table and some leverage to force a move. But that is then. This is now, and CP3 is living in the now.
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 42
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8