Dec 10, 2010, 10:56 AM EDT
The future of the New Orleans Hornets could not be cloudier right now. Might as well consult Ms. Cleo or Nostradamus’ quatrains for an answer as to where they will be in a couple years because their visions of the future are probably as clear as David Stern’s right now.
Chris Paul could use this as the opportunity to push for his way out of town, but he is not choosing that path. He emphasized it again to Marc Stein of ESPN.
“That’s a bridge I’ll cross when I’ll get to it,” Paul told ESPN.com on Wednesday night. “But right now I’m here, you know what I mean? I’m one of those guys that I’m too close to my teammates and with this city — and my family’s the same way — to ever even think about being somewhere else.
“Everything right now is about how we can get our team to win a championship; I can’t distance myself from that. ‘Cause I feel like if I take my mind to another place to be with another team, then I have to distance myself. I can’t do that. I’ve never been that person.
“This hasn’t impacted [my future],” Paul continued. “I think it’s about the now. That’s all I’m worried about. I don’t think about [the future] too much. I really don’t.”
In the short term, Paul is not going anywhere anyway. To get the best price for the Hornets — and David Stern has said he wants to turn a profit on this transaction — you need the team’s best asset to be in place. The Hornets are worth less without Paul, the league is not going to move him.
Next year, in the final year of his deal, he could be in the Carmelo Anthony situation — an extension on the table and some leverage to force a move. But that is then. This is now, and CP3 is living in the now.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 10
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32