Dec 9, 2010, 12:16 PM EDT
Rashad McCants apparently wants to get paid.
He was playing with the Texas Legends of the D-League — where the maximum salary is $25,000 a year, which he was going to donate to charity — looking to make it back to the NBA. But his agent informed the Mavericks and Legends that he was leaving to go play in China, according to the Dallas Morning News.
“Rashad has an opportunity to play in China and it looks like he’ll be taking advantage of that opportunity,” (Mavericks GM Donnie) Nelson said. “Although my personal feeling is the D-League is the quickest, most direct path to the NBA, I wish him nothing but the very best. He’s been a true professional and the Legends will retain his rights in the event he elects to return.”
McCants had played pretty well in the D-League by all reports. He was averaging 12.3 points per game.
- Vogel: Andrew Bynum to play for Indiana Pacers Tuesday night 7
- Report: Phil Jackson expected to finalize contract with Knicks by end of week 30
- The Extra Pass: Gerald Green doesn’t regret moment of his winding journey to NBA stardom 10
- Monday NBA grades: Blake Griffin shows off his jumper (and yes, he can still dunk) 9
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker ejected after elbow thrown to Blake Griffin’s head (VIDEO) 18