Dec 9, 2010, 4:13 PM EDT
The Lakers have been saying for some time that they didn’t want this trip to the White House — for the annual President shakes the hand of the NBA Champions meeting — to be another Rose Garden photo op. Everyone’s been there and done that, they wanted something different.
They will get together and meet at a community service event in the Washington D.C. area, the Associated Press has learned. The details of that are not yet public.
The Lakers have been to the White House plenty. This summer, Pau Gasol and Derek Fisher took part in the much-discussed White House pickup game with President Barack Obama. Kobe Bryant was there too but did not play due to knee surgery.
The meeting will likely be around next Tuesday, when the Lakers are in the nation’s capital to take on the Wizards.
- Bulls have no answer for Nene as Wizards take Game 1 0
- Charlotte is scrappy but Heat have too much in comfortable 99-88 win 9
- Spurs use huge 4th quarter run to come back and win Game 1 vs. Mavericks 8
- NBA issues statement saying Chris Paul was fouled before late-game turnover against Warriors 17
- Jim Buss says he’ll step down if Lakers aren’t contenders again in ‘three to four years’ 41