Dec 9, 2010, 11:01 AM EDT
This is starting to remind me of the bank bailouts, where once the government decided to help them out the depth of the morass just kept becoming clearer.
The Hornets lost $18.24 million dollars in 2009-10, according to Jonathan Abrams at the New York Times Off The Dribble blog. And the numbers after this season should be even worse (which is a little sad because the team is better this season, last season if nobody wanted to watch them it was understandable).
That is just operating losses, we’re not figuring in the long-term debt, which at last count was about $83 million.
It was those losses that had George Shinn trying to sell the team and that forced the league to step in and buy the franchise when a deal with Gary Chouest fell through.
David Stern and Jac Sperling — Sterns appointed man to run the team — have both said they want to take their time, do it right and find a local owner if at all possible. But once the other 29 owners start having to write checks that cover those operating losses you can count on there being pressure to speed up the process.
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'