Dec 9, 2010, 10:00 PM EDT
The Dallas Mavericks have won 10 in a row. They have the second best record in the whole of the NBA, trailing only the Spurs — and Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said recently the Mavericks were probably the best team in the league right now. Both Dallas’ offense and defense are in the top 10 in efficiency in the NBA.
The boastful Mark Cuban should be crowing, after he said before the season he thought his team could challenge the Lakers this season. So Art Garcia from NBA.com gave him the chance and asked him who the best team in the NBA was.
“Miami is the best team in the league right now,” Cuban said simply.
Cuban stuck with that line when asked again. That despite the fact the Mavericks already beat the Heat this season. But that’s one of the flukes of the schedule — sometimes it’s about when you catch teams. Dallas caught Miami during their early struggles, they are playing much better now.
Or maybe when Cuban — a fan of advanced stats — looks at the numbers he realizes his team outscores its opponents by 6.4 points per 100 possessions and the Heat are at 9.5. Of course, if you use that measure the Heat still trail the Celtics and Spurs (9.9 each).
Maybe it’s just Cuban trying to tweak the Heat a little. That or maybe he’s right.
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 9
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 14
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 16
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 15
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 36
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 24
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 7
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 6