Dec 9, 2010, 10:00 PM EDT
The Dallas Mavericks have won 10 in a row. They have the second best record in the whole of the NBA, trailing only the Spurs — and Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said recently the Mavericks were probably the best team in the league right now. Both Dallas’ offense and defense are in the top 10 in efficiency in the NBA.
The boastful Mark Cuban should be crowing, after he said before the season he thought his team could challenge the Lakers this season. So Art Garcia from NBA.com gave him the chance and asked him who the best team in the NBA was.
“Miami is the best team in the league right now,” Cuban said simply.
Cuban stuck with that line when asked again. That despite the fact the Mavericks already beat the Heat this season. But that’s one of the flukes of the schedule — sometimes it’s about when you catch teams. Dallas caught Miami during their early struggles, they are playing much better now.
Or maybe when Cuban — a fan of advanced stats — looks at the numbers he realizes his team outscores its opponents by 6.4 points per 100 possessions and the Heat are at 9.5. Of course, if you use that measure the Heat still trail the Celtics and Spurs (9.9 each).
Maybe it’s just Cuban trying to tweak the Heat a little. That or maybe he’s right.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 0
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43