Dec 9, 2010, 10:00 PM EST
The Dallas Mavericks have won 10 in a row. They have the second best record in the whole of the NBA, trailing only the Spurs — and Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said recently the Mavericks were probably the best team in the league right now. Both Dallas’ offense and defense are in the top 10 in efficiency in the NBA.
The boastful Mark Cuban should be crowing, after he said before the season he thought his team could challenge the Lakers this season. So Art Garcia from NBA.com gave him the chance and asked him who the best team in the NBA was.
“Miami is the best team in the league right now,” Cuban said simply.
Cuban stuck with that line when asked again. That despite the fact the Mavericks already beat the Heat this season. But that’s one of the flukes of the schedule — sometimes it’s about when you catch teams. Dallas caught Miami during their early struggles, they are playing much better now.
Or maybe when Cuban — a fan of advanced stats — looks at the numbers he realizes his team outscores its opponents by 6.4 points per 100 possessions and the Heat are at 9.5. Of course, if you use that measure the Heat still trail the Celtics and Spurs (9.9 each).
Maybe it’s just Cuban trying to tweak the Heat a little. That or maybe he’s right.
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 3
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 4
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 23
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 28
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0