Dec 9, 2010, 10:00 PM EDT
The Dallas Mavericks have won 10 in a row. They have the second best record in the whole of the NBA, trailing only the Spurs — and Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said recently the Mavericks were probably the best team in the league right now. Both Dallas’ offense and defense are in the top 10 in efficiency in the NBA.
The boastful Mark Cuban should be crowing, after he said before the season he thought his team could challenge the Lakers this season. So Art Garcia from NBA.com gave him the chance and asked him who the best team in the NBA was.
“Miami is the best team in the league right now,” Cuban said simply.
Cuban stuck with that line when asked again. That despite the fact the Mavericks already beat the Heat this season. But that’s one of the flukes of the schedule — sometimes it’s about when you catch teams. Dallas caught Miami during their early struggles, they are playing much better now.
Or maybe when Cuban — a fan of advanced stats — looks at the numbers he realizes his team outscores its opponents by 6.4 points per 100 possessions and the Heat are at 9.5. Of course, if you use that measure the Heat still trail the Celtics and Spurs (9.9 each).
Maybe it’s just Cuban trying to tweak the Heat a little. That or maybe he’s right.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 12
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 13
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 7
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay