Dec 9, 2010, 10:00 PM EDT
The Dallas Mavericks have won 10 in a row. They have the second best record in the whole of the NBA, trailing only the Spurs — and Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said recently the Mavericks were probably the best team in the league right now. Both Dallas’ offense and defense are in the top 10 in efficiency in the NBA.
The boastful Mark Cuban should be crowing, after he said before the season he thought his team could challenge the Lakers this season. So Art Garcia from NBA.com gave him the chance and asked him who the best team in the NBA was.
“Miami is the best team in the league right now,” Cuban said simply.
Cuban stuck with that line when asked again. That despite the fact the Mavericks already beat the Heat this season. But that’s one of the flukes of the schedule — sometimes it’s about when you catch teams. Dallas caught Miami during their early struggles, they are playing much better now.
Or maybe when Cuban — a fan of advanced stats — looks at the numbers he realizes his team outscores its opponents by 6.4 points per 100 possessions and the Heat are at 9.5. Of course, if you use that measure the Heat still trail the Celtics and Spurs (9.9 each).
Maybe it’s just Cuban trying to tweak the Heat a little. That or maybe he’s right.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 8
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 43
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 55
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 86
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13