Dec 9, 2010, 3:52 PM EST
What is it about drinking and driving in Sacramento?
Mario Elie, the one time three-point NBA specialist turned Sacramento Kings coach, was arrested for driving under the influence, according to News 10 in the city (KHTK 1140 AM broke the story). He was pulled over for a broken taillight but the officer smelled alcohol and did a field sobriety test which led to the arrest.
Here is Elie’s statement via the Kings:
“I was pulled over last night on my way home for having a broken taillight. I had been out and had a couple of drinks. My blood alcohol level was slightly over the legal limit. I’m very sorry, embarrassed and disappointed for the position in which I put myself and team. Rest assured, it won’t happen again as I take full responsibility for my actions.”
Team GM Geoff Petrie said:
“We are very concerned and disappointed in regard to Mario’s arrest for DUI. This is an ugly form of history repeating itself. We expect better, knowing at the same time there are limits to how far you can go to protect people from themselves. In spite of all of this, we still respect Mario’s right to due process.”
Elie was an 11-year NBA veteran and three-point specialist who won three NBA rings (two with Houston, one with the Spurs). He joined the Kings staff this season.
That is three people associated with the Kings pulled over for a DUI in the last three months. Antoine Wright was pulled over and arrested for a DUI on Nov. 4 (he has sense been released by the team). Minority owner George Maloof, Jr. was arrested in Las Vegas drunk driving back in October.
Before that there was then-King Andres Nocioni’s DUI arrest in 2009. Back in 2006 then Kings coach Eric Musselman was arrested as well. And that’s not to mention Tyreke Evans sober but stupid 100 mph chase along a freeway that led to an arrest and a one-game suspension by the league.
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 28
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8