Dec 9, 2010, 1:49 PM EDT
Just a couple weeks ago there was everything but a countdown clock for when Pat Riley was going to come down from on high and tell Erik Spoelstra to go spend more time with his family. Or, go get a wife and family to spend time with. Either way, get out.
Now, six wins later (and a quality one against the Jazz), Spoelstra is back to being a boy genius.
Jazz coach Jerry Sloan said all the talk around Spoelstra was unfair and, um, organic fertilizer. The Palm Beach Post has the quote (from before the game and the Heat won):
“They execute very well, what they’re trying to do,” Sloan said. “Defensively, they’re very very sound and strong. I think he does a terrific job for a young coach or an old coach either, it doesn’t make any difference. I think he’s done a great job. It’s sad to have to listen to all the B.S. about this and that with his coaching. He just doesn’t have a frame of reference, and that’s what people get anxious about. Because a guy hasn’t won three or four championships, or done something like that, he doesn’t get as long as he should. But that’s part of this business, you have to know it when you get into it, because it can be short-lived.”
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 2
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 4
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 29
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- LIVE: Stanley Cup Final Game 4 pregame show
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record