Dec 9, 2010, 5:43 PM EDT
Cleveland Cavaliers coach Byron Scott is out of the Pat Riley, old-school mode in some ways — hard practices and he expects his guys to bust it on the court. Every time.
He’s also willing to bend the ear of an official. And by bend I mean use language that would make a sailor blush. Which can get him into trouble.
It did recently, and Scott’s wife would like to see more of that. I’ll let Alex Kennedy of Hoopsworld explain.
I mentioned that Byron Scott was fined $35,000 by the league after criticizing the referees following a loss to the Orlando Magic. Scott wasn’t concerned and responded, “My checkbook is fine.” He wasn’t kidding. The head coach’s wallet is in such good shape that he lets his wife, Anita, go on a shopping spree of equal value each time he receives a fine from the league.
Christmas baby! Santa’s sleigh is going to have to carry about $35,000 extra this year. At least.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 16
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 15
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9