Dec 8, 2010, 1:17 PM EDT
When Ron Artest commits, when he believes in something, he never goes in halfway. Whether it was partying in his younger days to his more mature commitment to the Lakers last season, Artest doesn’t hold back. He goes all in.
Now his passion is getting out the word about mental health awareness. Counseling has changed his life, he wants others to know it’s okay to seek help, to reduce the stigma.
And he is putting his money where his mouth is, donating at least half of his salary next season to the cause, he told NBA.com’s Scott Howard Cooper. He is set to make $6.8 million, by the way.
“I’m definitely considering the whole thing,” Artest said. “Or maybe 60 percent.”
Although he may not finalize details until the summer, he called the plan “very serious. I’ve talked to my wife about it already. It’s a powerful message. The message is about the inspiration. That’s what I want, to inspire people. People will be like, ‘Wow. Why is he doing this? Oh, that’s why. Wow. We need to help educate.’ I didn’t come [to the Lakers] for the money. Obviously I could have gone somewhere else, even a lesser market. Pay less taxes. The taxes here are freaking killing me, you know what I’m saying?”
Well, this would certainly be a nice write off, but that’s not why he is doing it.
This would be in addition to the raffle of his championship ring he earned last season, with the money again going to the same cause. A cause heightened by his high-profile gestures.
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 41
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 59
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 26
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 23