Dec 8, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT
Jac Sperling was born in New Orleans. He gets the city. He has a good gumbo recipe.
The NHL executive’s new job is heading up the Hornets. And he told the Associated Press it is all about keeping the Hornets in the Big Easy. If he can.
“I grew up here. (David Stern) asked me to help,” Sperling said. “Read into that what you want, but I think the commissioner, he’s been very positive about this city going back to when the team was awarded in 2002, (then moving the team back from Oklahoma City) after Katrina … and also the awarding of the 2008 All-Star game.
“We’re in a difficult spot, yes, but I think his selection of me is a further indication of what is in his mind. He wants to try to make this asset more attractive so perhaps a local buyer will step up.”
The NBA keeps talking that talk. But if I were cynical I would note that Sperling brokered the sale of the NHL’s Anaheim Ducks to Henry and Susan Samueli. He’s tight with them. And I’d note that the Samueli’s have talked about getting an NBA team in the Honda Center. And… well, good thing I’m not cynical like that.
Sperling’s main first job is to get the Hornets in a better financial position, as they are bleeding money. That means trying to find better and larger corporate partners, selling some more seats and trying to get blood out of the turnip that is the Louisiana state government right now.
You can’t keep the Hornets in the Big Easy unless you can make the finances better. Unless that is not the plan. But that would be cynical to say.
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 9
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 5
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 8
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 98
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (98)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'