Dec 8, 2010, 2:05 PM EST
Last season the Memphis Grizzlies were just below .500 (40-42), just out of the playoffs in the West. So they brought the band back together, expected a step forward and…
Not so much. They are 8-14 and sitting 12th in the Western Conference. And that has owner Michael Heisley confused, as he told the Commercial Appeal.
“I don’t know what’s happening,” Heisley said of the Grizzlies’ 8-14 record. “We’re having a difficult time and I don’t know what the reason for it is. I started the season with high hopes for the team. It’s not living up to what I’d hope. I don’t know what else to say. I’ve racked my brain trying to figure it out.”
“We just have to get ourselves righted and go on a (winning) streak like we did last year in December,” Heisley said. “I still like our team. I don’t like the results. But we play hard. By the All-Star break we’ll have a better idea of where we are. We’ve just got to get to .500 by the All-Star break.”
If not, he said they would have to consider making a move.
As a service, let me help Heisley out a little bit — it’s the offense. Yes, the injuries have been a part of it, yes the schedule has been though (fourth toughest in the league), but the offense has been your problem.
Last season the Grizzles were the best offensive rebounding team in the league, this season they are okay at 10th in the league. Last season got to the line much more, they were 12th in the league in free throw to field goal ratio. This season? Try 29th. OJ Mayo isn’t shooting all that well and doesn’t like coming off the bench. The list goes on and on (but does not include Mike Conley anymore, good call there, we were wrong about him).
Maybe the Grizzlies can get healthy and get on a bit of a run. Or, maybe, this team pretty much reached its potential as it was last season and to expect more improvement across the board without significant additions was a mistake. Probably more the latter.
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 4
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 10
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 5
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 8
- Shane Battier on Carmelo Anthony: ‘Last two years I guarded him, he did exactly what the scouting report said he would’ 15
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 18