Dec 8, 2010, 2:05 PM EDT
Last season the Memphis Grizzlies were just below .500 (40-42), just out of the playoffs in the West. So they brought the band back together, expected a step forward and…
Not so much. They are 8-14 and sitting 12th in the Western Conference. And that has owner Michael Heisley confused, as he told the Commercial Appeal.
“I don’t know what’s happening,” Heisley said of the Grizzlies’ 8-14 record. “We’re having a difficult time and I don’t know what the reason for it is. I started the season with high hopes for the team. It’s not living up to what I’d hope. I don’t know what else to say. I’ve racked my brain trying to figure it out.”
“We just have to get ourselves righted and go on a (winning) streak like we did last year in December,” Heisley said. “I still like our team. I don’t like the results. But we play hard. By the All-Star break we’ll have a better idea of where we are. We’ve just got to get to .500 by the All-Star break.”
If not, he said they would have to consider making a move.
As a service, let me help Heisley out a little bit — it’s the offense. Yes, the injuries have been a part of it, yes the schedule has been though (fourth toughest in the league), but the offense has been your problem.
Last season the Grizzles were the best offensive rebounding team in the league, this season they are okay at 10th in the league. Last season got to the line much more, they were 12th in the league in free throw to field goal ratio. This season? Try 29th. OJ Mayo isn’t shooting all that well and doesn’t like coming off the bench. The list goes on and on (but does not include Mike Conley anymore, good call there, we were wrong about him).
Maybe the Grizzlies can get healthy and get on a bit of a run. Or, maybe, this team pretty much reached its potential as it was last season and to expect more improvement across the board without significant additions was a mistake. Probably more the latter.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 2
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 27
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 17
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15