Dec 7, 2010, 10:11 PM EDT
You knew if the New Orleans Hornets were making money George Shinn would not have been trying to sell the team (he would have done a Donald Sterling and run a team poorly for profit as long as he could).
But the leaked financials of the New Orleans Hornets painted a bleak picture, team where the owner is paying out of his pocket every year and drowning in debt like a college kid with credit cards. Fantastic new purchase, David Stern. (Note: Deadspin posted these first and broke the story, although I first saw a hard copy of them from Larry Coon of ESPN.)
Basically, the Hornets turned a modest profit between June 2008-2009 ($5.9 million) and lost money the year before ($6.4 million), but meanwhile they are up to their eyeballs in debt — $83 million as of June 2009. It had long been rumored that taking over all that debt was one of the concerns Gary Chouest had with the purchase of the team.
What’s more, as Deadspin points out, that in the two years of KPMG-audited numbers George Shinn had to reach into his pockets for about $8.8 million to keep the team operating.
Stern has said there is no timetable for the sale of the franchise and they want to work hard to find local owners. But now the other 29 NBA owners run that team and if they are going to be asked to reach into their pockets for the Hornets you can bet they will push for a faster sale. Whether the team stays in New Orleans or not.
This story just promises to get more and more ugly.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18