Dec 7, 2010, 11:06 PM EDT
UPDATE 11:13 pm: Andrew Bynum said he is targeting Dec. 14 — a road game against the Washington Wizards — as his return date, according to J.A. Adande of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
The Lakers will have played 24 games by then and be in the middle of an East Coast road trip.
11:06 pm: Before the Lakers started their dismantling of the Washington Wizards tonight, Phil Jackson was asked about the imminent return of Andrew Bynum. Because right now all Lakers interviews somehow evolve into Bynum questions.
The question became is it better to work Bynum out in practices longer to make sure he is fully ready for a game, or is it just time to get out on the court?
“I don’t know how to weigh this about precaution,” Jackson said. “I don’t think there is anything we can do that would replicate what he is going to get in a game. We can’t put him through any more drills or any more activity, or any more practices, you know you can never get unless you actually play the game.
“The game is actually full speed, instead of running at 45 RPM you run at 78. And a lot of time my practices are at 33 1/3…
“Eventually that’s what you have to do. Eventually he is going to have to get out on the court and find out if he is ready to play at game time speed.”
Hey kids, that’s a reference to phonograph speeds Jackson made. What’s a phonograph? Um, kind of like an old-school DJ turntable… oh, just read this.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 3
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 20
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49