Dec 7, 2010, 11:06 PM EDT
UPDATE 11:13 pm: Andrew Bynum said he is targeting Dec. 14 — a road game against the Washington Wizards — as his return date, according to J.A. Adande of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
The Lakers will have played 24 games by then and be in the middle of an East Coast road trip.
11:06 pm: Before the Lakers started their dismantling of the Washington Wizards tonight, Phil Jackson was asked about the imminent return of Andrew Bynum. Because right now all Lakers interviews somehow evolve into Bynum questions.
The question became is it better to work Bynum out in practices longer to make sure he is fully ready for a game, or is it just time to get out on the court?
“I don’t know how to weigh this about precaution,” Jackson said. “I don’t think there is anything we can do that would replicate what he is going to get in a game. We can’t put him through any more drills or any more activity, or any more practices, you know you can never get unless you actually play the game.
“The game is actually full speed, instead of running at 45 RPM you run at 78. And a lot of time my practices are at 33 1/3…
“Eventually that’s what you have to do. Eventually he is going to have to get out on the court and find out if he is ready to play at game time speed.”
Hey kids, that’s a reference to phonograph speeds Jackson made. What’s a phonograph? Um, kind of like an old-school DJ turntable… oh, just read this.
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 3
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 9
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 6
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 17
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15