Dec 7, 2010, 11:06 PM EST
UPDATE 11:13 pm: Andrew Bynum said he is targeting Dec. 14 — a road game against the Washington Wizards — as his return date, according to J.A. Adande of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
The Lakers will have played 24 games by then and be in the middle of an East Coast road trip.
11:06 pm: Before the Lakers started their dismantling of the Washington Wizards tonight, Phil Jackson was asked about the imminent return of Andrew Bynum. Because right now all Lakers interviews somehow evolve into Bynum questions.
The question became is it better to work Bynum out in practices longer to make sure he is fully ready for a game, or is it just time to get out on the court?
“I don’t know how to weigh this about precaution,” Jackson said. “I don’t think there is anything we can do that would replicate what he is going to get in a game. We can’t put him through any more drills or any more activity, or any more practices, you know you can never get unless you actually play the game.
“The game is actually full speed, instead of running at 45 RPM you run at 78. And a lot of time my practices are at 33 1/3…
“Eventually that’s what you have to do. Eventually he is going to have to get out on the court and find out if he is ready to play at game time speed.”
Hey kids, that’s a reference to phonograph speeds Jackson made. What’s a phonograph? Um, kind of like an old-school DJ turntable… oh, just read this.
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 4
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 0
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 30
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 23
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13