Dec 7, 2010, 11:06 PM EDT
UPDATE 11:13 pm: Andrew Bynum said he is targeting Dec. 14 — a road game against the Washington Wizards — as his return date, according to J.A. Adande of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
The Lakers will have played 24 games by then and be in the middle of an East Coast road trip.
11:06 pm: Before the Lakers started their dismantling of the Washington Wizards tonight, Phil Jackson was asked about the imminent return of Andrew Bynum. Because right now all Lakers interviews somehow evolve into Bynum questions.
The question became is it better to work Bynum out in practices longer to make sure he is fully ready for a game, or is it just time to get out on the court?
“I don’t know how to weigh this about precaution,” Jackson said. “I don’t think there is anything we can do that would replicate what he is going to get in a game. We can’t put him through any more drills or any more activity, or any more practices, you know you can never get unless you actually play the game.
“The game is actually full speed, instead of running at 45 RPM you run at 78. And a lot of time my practices are at 33 1/3…
“Eventually that’s what you have to do. Eventually he is going to have to get out on the court and find out if he is ready to play at game time speed.”
Hey kids, that’s a reference to phonograph speeds Jackson made. What’s a phonograph? Um, kind of like an old-school DJ turntable… oh, just read this.
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3