Dec 7, 2010, 10:28 AM EDT
NBA fans around the league know of Lower Merion High School in Philadelphia because of this announcement:
“At guard, 6’6”, out of Lower Merion High School… Kobe Bryant.”
Next week Kobe Bryant will be a permanent part of the school as its gym gets named after him. Well, to be fair that happened after Bryant wrote a massive check to have the building redone, the Philadelphia Inquirer reports (via CBS Facts & Rumors).
This year, Bryant, the perennial all-star and face of the Los Angeles Lakers, donated $411,000 to the Lower Merion School District. The gift, the largest ever to the district, is to help fund “a series of inspirational, interactive, and educational displays” at the newly completed, $100 million high school.
The school board voted to name the gym after Bryant, citing not just his donation but a history of support for the school, whose Aces basketball team he led to a state championship in 1996.
Kobe told ESPNLosAngeles he was pretty excited by all this.
“It’s cool for me,” Bryant said. “That’s obviously where playing in the NBA kind of became a realistic goal. I put a lot of work in, a lot of hours in that gym, with a lot of people that support me and still support me to this day. It will be cool to go back there.”
The dedication ceremony is next week because Kobe and he Lakers will be in Philly to take on the Sixers then. The event is almost sold out — both the $25 regular seats and the $250 VIP seats with reception.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 0
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43