Dec 3, 2010, 11:32 AM EST
The name Wilkins will once again be across the back of a Hawks jersey.
The Hawks have signed Damien Wilkins — nephew of Hawks legend Dominique Wilkins — to a contract, the team announced. The details were not announced but this is certainly a non-guaranteed, minimum money deal.
Wilkins has spent six years in the NBA, the first five with the Sonics then Thunder, followed by last season in Minnesota. He’s a 6-6 small forward who has always been a bench player seemingly forced into bigger roles, but he could bring depth the Atlanta. This season he was in training camp with the Grizzlies but did not make the squad.
This signing would be barely a blip on the radar were it not for him being the nephew of the greatest Hawk ever, Dominique Wilkins. He of the thunderous windmill dunks. That connection, and the fact he played two years at the University of Georgia, should make him an instant fan favorite.
- After Lakers’ 48-point loss, Laker GM Kupchak, owner Buss met with coach D’Antoni 0
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 18
- Is Carmelo Anthony’s smart play to opt in and play out contract with Knicks? 16
- LeBron says he has open door policy, would certainly speak to Paul George 28
- Report: Knicks met with Phil Jackson about coaching them 42