Dec 3, 2010, 11:32 AM EST
The name Wilkins will once again be across the back of a Hawks jersey.
The Hawks have signed Damien Wilkins — nephew of Hawks legend Dominique Wilkins — to a contract, the team announced. The details were not announced but this is certainly a non-guaranteed, minimum money deal.
Wilkins has spent six years in the NBA, the first five with the Sonics then Thunder, followed by last season in Minnesota. He’s a 6-6 small forward who has always been a bench player seemingly forced into bigger roles, but he could bring depth the Atlanta. This season he was in training camp with the Grizzlies but did not make the squad.
This signing would be barely a blip on the radar were it not for him being the nephew of the greatest Hawk ever, Dominique Wilkins. He of the thunderous windmill dunks. That connection, and the fact he played two years at the University of Georgia, should make him an instant fan favorite.
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 3
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 7
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 21
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 8
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 44
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 17