Dec 3, 2010, 11:32 AM EDT
The name Wilkins will once again be across the back of a Hawks jersey.
The Hawks have signed Damien Wilkins — nephew of Hawks legend Dominique Wilkins — to a contract, the team announced. The details were not announced but this is certainly a non-guaranteed, minimum money deal.
Wilkins has spent six years in the NBA, the first five with the Sonics then Thunder, followed by last season in Minnesota. He’s a 6-6 small forward who has always been a bench player seemingly forced into bigger roles, but he could bring depth the Atlanta. This season he was in training camp with the Grizzlies but did not make the squad.
This signing would be barely a blip on the radar were it not for him being the nephew of the greatest Hawk ever, Dominique Wilkins. He of the thunderous windmill dunks. That connection, and the fact he played two years at the University of Georgia, should make him an instant fan favorite.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 62
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 71
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8