Dec 3, 2010, 11:32 AM EDT
The name Wilkins will once again be across the back of a Hawks jersey.
The Hawks have signed Damien Wilkins — nephew of Hawks legend Dominique Wilkins — to a contract, the team announced. The details were not announced but this is certainly a non-guaranteed, minimum money deal.
Wilkins has spent six years in the NBA, the first five with the Sonics then Thunder, followed by last season in Minnesota. He’s a 6-6 small forward who has always been a bench player seemingly forced into bigger roles, but he could bring depth the Atlanta. This season he was in training camp with the Grizzlies but did not make the squad.
This signing would be barely a blip on the radar were it not for him being the nephew of the greatest Hawk ever, Dominique Wilkins. He of the thunderous windmill dunks. That connection, and the fact he played two years at the University of Georgia, should make him an instant fan favorite.
- Wednesday NBA grades: Kevin Durant ends season exactly like you think he would 10
- Finally the NBA playoff match ups are set 36
- PBT Extra: Giving out MVP, end of season awards 5
- Report: Sale of Milwaukee Bucks for record $550 million agreed upon, team to stay in Milwaukee 39
- Playoff Chase: Seven meaningful games on final night of NBA season 17