Dec 3, 2010, 11:32 AM EDT
The name Wilkins will once again be across the back of a Hawks jersey.
The Hawks have signed Damien Wilkins — nephew of Hawks legend Dominique Wilkins — to a contract, the team announced. The details were not announced but this is certainly a non-guaranteed, minimum money deal.
Wilkins has spent six years in the NBA, the first five with the Sonics then Thunder, followed by last season in Minnesota. He’s a 6-6 small forward who has always been a bench player seemingly forced into bigger roles, but he could bring depth the Atlanta. This season he was in training camp with the Grizzlies but did not make the squad.
This signing would be barely a blip on the radar were it not for him being the nephew of the greatest Hawk ever, Dominique Wilkins. He of the thunderous windmill dunks. That connection, and the fact he played two years at the University of Georgia, should make him an instant fan favorite.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 5
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 11
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 36