Poll: How will Cleveland fans react to LeBron James Thursday?

Dec 1, 2010, 12:40 PM EDT

jamespreseason Getty Images

The anger in the building will be palpable, and when he does the pregame powder toss LeBron James better hope Cleveland fans are mature and aren’t tossing things at him.

You know, mature like Albert Belle.

There are campaigns to laugh at LeBron, to come up with chants or more mature responses. But it remains to be seen exactly what will happen when LeBron James and the Heat come to Cleveland Thursday night. What do you think Clevelanders will do?

1. jkadis - Dec 1, 2010 at 12:49 PM

I’m guessing it’s going to get pretty nasty. I was at this Browns/Jaguars game a few years ago http://nyti.ms/hpCAts and I can tell you we are a pretty passionate bunch. I’m actually flying back to Cleveland tonight to catch the game tomorrow. Should be interesting…

For the time being, I’m going to try and mix a little laughing with booing and chanting. Best of all worlds. All I can hope for is people to not toss stuff (including themselves) onto the court.

2. silencegooddoer - Dec 1, 2010 at 1:18 PM

I am going to guess that the Cleveland fans will engage in some coercion of their own, just as LeBron, Wade, and Bosh did. They may just decide to take the game into their own hands. If they feel that the Heat will win anyway, why would they let LeBron have a career night at the Q? I will not be surprised if the court becomes littered with LeBron bobble-heads and old Cavs #23 jerseys forcing the officials to stop the game and give Miami a forfeit. It will most likely be ugly and distasteful. But Cleveland has survived dark sports moments in the past.

3. wonkypenguin - Dec 1, 2010 at 1:27 PM

I would love if they did the silent treatment when he was introduced. Just absolute dead silence. It would be such a stark change in normal behavior.

I think “throwing things without the intention of injury” is the most likely scenario, as silencegooddoer says.

I’m looking forward to the homemade signs. And if LeBron can go 2 for 20 with a Cleveland blowout, that would simply mean sports karma exists and that would be fun.

4. 8dollarbeer - Dec 1, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Oh I so hope something crazy happens. I would like to see people dressed up in Lebron’s Mom and Delonte West costumes. I hope it gets nasty and heated, fun times!!

5. hnirobert3 - Dec 2, 2010 at 7:47 AM

Cleveland is one bad night away from being on Philly’s level of having the biggest scumbag fans, especially after the NYJ game when some drunk whitetrash tackled a kid. Go ahead and do it. You have nothing else to cheer for since ALL of your teams are garbage and going nowhere. =)

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches