Dec 1, 2010, 11:05 AM EST
The Detroit Pistons are a once great team awkwardly entering a rebuilding period. Right now they are an uncomfortable mix of the old and the new. They have a new coach — John Kuester — who has brought a different system, but many of the players are holdovers who fit best in the old system.
Like Rip Hamilton. He’s a catch-and-shoot guy caught in an isolation world. There may be real interest in him on the open market — what team doesn’t need a guy who can knock down shots? — but GM Joe Dumars told FanHouse right now there are no plans to trade him.
“We don’t have anything whatsoever on the table in terms of a trade, or anything even remotely close to a trade, for Rip Hamilton,” Dumars told FanHouse Tuesday. “Nothing.”
That was unequivocal. It also won’t last. The eventual sale of the team may change that.
Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince will be the targets of other teams and the topic of trade rumors up until the deadline. And really, it’s time to move them. The Pistons need to rebuild and they need to jump into that with both feet. The era of 50-win seasons and annual trips to at least the conference finals with the old core is over. It’s time to move on, get the pieces and start to rebuild.
Which would be good for Hamilton, who right now is a quality player in a system ill suited to him on a 6-12 team.
“I don’t know about turning it around. It’s about getting accustomed to each other, the coach’s style, him getting accustomed to us, and how we like to play,” Hamilton said. “This is a different situation than we had in the past. There is a lot of adjusting to do.”
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 0
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 4
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 2
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 6
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)