Dec 1, 2010, 5:49 PM EST
Jonny Flynn hasn’t played in a while, what with the off-season hip surgery and all.
So the Minnesota Timberwolves have assigned him to Sioux Falls of the D-League, according to the Star Tribune. This will likely be for a one-game rehab assignment on Friday, after which he will return to the Timberwolves ever-so-clear backcourt situation and start playing next week.
“I’m excited just to get back out there,” he said. “Just to get in the flow of things, shaking the rust off. You can’t do a lot of things in practice you can in a game situation.”
While this kind of rehab assignment to the minors is very common in baseball, it has rarely been used around the NBA. Flynn, a relatively high profile player, could be setting a precident, according to Scot Schroeder, who covers the D-League for FanHouse.
- Wednesday night NBA grades: Amar’e Stoudemire played well? Yes. Yes he did. 2
- Report: D.J. Augustin reaches deal with Chicago Bulls 2
- PBT Extra: Talking Pacers win over Heat; Aldridge vs. Howard showdown 10
- Kidd says he is reading Frank’s “reports” as details of Nets coaching mess come public 13
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 9