Dec 1, 2010, 2:46 PM EDT
DeMarcus Cousins: Real trouble or just immature?
“I was being selfish,” Cousins said after tallying 20 points and eight rebounds in a loss to Indiana on Tuesday night at Arco Arena, the Kings’ 10th in their last 11 games. “I’m frustrated about losing. In my own opinion, I believe different strategies should be in the game and I was being selfish. It was a good lesson for me. I learned from it.
“I am a big part of this team, and Coach Westphal said (in practice) I’ve been terrible. And that’s the truth. I’ve been terrible. It is a big effect on the team. I’ve got to pick up my game, and so does the rest of this team and we’ve got to turn this thing around.”
Those comments are a sign of maturity. That maybe he is growing up now, and being forced to do it fast.
Cousins, as he showed against Indiana (and has in flashes at other times this season) has the talent to tear this league up. He has a lot of athleticism and great touch for a man in such a big body. He could be a force.
Which is why teams have called about trading for him, hoping the Kings were ready to give up already. They are not. Cousins is not available, Amick was told.
As it should be. So far what has held Cousins back is Cousins. If he gets it going and plays well with others, the Kings will have the steal of the draft.
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 9
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 29
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 31
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 42
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24