Dec 1, 2010, 8:10 AM EDT
Albert Belle is now the voice of reason. Which also means the end times are upon us, so prepare yourself.
Belle — the ill-tempered power hitter for the Indians who left for a big contract, and who knows what it is like to be booed by Clevelanders — is hoping everyone acts like adults when LeBron James and the Cavaliers come to Cleveland Thursday night, as he told the Plain Dealer.
“My advice to LeBron is to take the high road and act professional,” said Belle. “I hope the fans do the same. I don’t want them to embarrass themselves on TV. I’d like to see everybody hug and kiss before the game and then the fans can boo the heck out of LeBron during the game.”
He’ll get his wish on the booing. Belle got booed and worse. He left Cleveland for the big money contract in Chicago with the White Sox in 1997 — and for Belle’s homecoming someone had rented a plane so he could drag a derogatory message over the stadium. But that wasn’t all.
“It was crazy,” said Belle. “They were throwing batteries. Someone threw a pair of binoculars.”
It could happen again, although everyone is hoping that is not the case. Even Belle.
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 0
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 23
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 45
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 54
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23