Will LeBron do the powder toss in Cleveland Thursday? “Probably.”

Nov 30, 2010, 4:10 PM EDT

James_chalk Getty Images

UPDATE 4:11 pm: Expanding on his thoughts to our own Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel (via twitter), James said he probably will do the chalk toss.

“I probably will. That’s a ritual for myself.”

2: 21 pm: It’s LeBron James’ iconic signature — throwing the powdered rosin into the air by the scorer’s table before the game.

In Cleveland it was the image on the 10-story “We Are All Witnesses” billboard across from Quicken Loans Arena. But the rosin toss, like his talents, went with LeBron to Miami.

When the Heat come and James returns to Cleveland Thursday, will James do the rosin toss he has done on the road at every other stop? He doesn’t know, he told Tim Reynolds of the Associated Press (via twitter).

“I probably will … I don’t know. We’ll see. I may change.”

Dwyane Wade told Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel (via twitter) that James had better do it. Wade said if James doesn’t he might do it instead.

A thousand miles away, former Cavalier Shaquille O’Neal was talking about it to Jason Lloyd of the Akron Beacon Journal (via twitter).

“I’m anxious to see if he’s going to do the powder thing…. I’m anxious to see him do the powder s—. We have bets he won’t do it.”

That and how Clevelanders react to James are going to probably be more interesting than the game itself Thursday night.

1. lebronsinsecurity - Nov 30, 2010 at 3:43 PM

I could be wrong…But I could’ve sworn that KG was doing the powder tossing thing in Minnesota years before LBJ started doing it…somehow this turned into Lebrons signature move?

• Kurt Helin - Nov 30, 2010 at 7:18 PM

KG did do the powder toss first, and frankly MJ for him. Still, I think we associate it with LeBron more than anyone.

• lebronsinsecurity - Nov 30, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Can’t believe I even forgot about MJ doing it in the beginning…Wow!

2. danj3678 - Nov 30, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Funny how LBJ and Wade talk about how they want to move past all the negative talk and just play basketball… yet neither of them have taken the high road on this one. Wade is antagonizing him to do something that will bring even more negativity to him in his old hometown. Way to be the bigger guys.. I hope the scorers table puts up an empty bottle of powder for the Douchebag!!!

• hnirobert3 - Dec 1, 2010 at 10:29 AM

That would be funny if they put a bottle of salt or sugar instead of powder.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches