Nov 29, 2010, 11:42 AM EDT
We just told you there are all kinds of reports about friction in the Miami Heat locker room…
Unless you ask the Heat directly.
Of the bump with James, Spoelstra said after Monday’s shootaround at AmericanAirlines Arena that it was typical of the chaos that can ensue when he strides to the foul circle to plot strategy and his players return to the bench.
“I mean, I didn’t even notice until people mentioned it after that game,” Spoelstra said. “It’s a pinball game. I’m colliding into a lot of people.”
Teammate Chris Bosh downplayed the bump.
“I’m sure it’s just something else that blown out of proportion,” We bump into each other all the time.”
“It is so easy for everyone to push the panic button right now,” the third-year coach said. “Panic is probably at an all-time high on the outside. It cannot be on the inside with us.”
Part of this is losing — winning cures all locker room ills. Losing provides friction that creates heat and fires. But the Heat’s ills that have them loosing to good teams will not be simple to fix: the team’s lack of depth has been exposed, Spoelstra urges them to run more but the pace remains slow, and the offensive sets remain stagnant (whether that is the design or execution of them depends on who you ask).
Right now, the Heat can use this speculation as part of an “us against the world” mentality that fuels them and gets them playing better as a unit. Or, the infighting can tear them apart. It’s early in the season, tis can still go either way.
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- HBT: Angels' Trout hits for cycle against Mariners
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars