Nov 29, 2010, 11:42 AM EDT
We just told you there are all kinds of reports about friction in the Miami Heat locker room…
Unless you ask the Heat directly.
Of the bump with James, Spoelstra said after Monday’s shootaround at AmericanAirlines Arena that it was typical of the chaos that can ensue when he strides to the foul circle to plot strategy and his players return to the bench.
“I mean, I didn’t even notice until people mentioned it after that game,” Spoelstra said. “It’s a pinball game. I’m colliding into a lot of people.”
Teammate Chris Bosh downplayed the bump.
“I’m sure it’s just something else that blown out of proportion,” We bump into each other all the time.”
“It is so easy for everyone to push the panic button right now,” the third-year coach said. “Panic is probably at an all-time high on the outside. It cannot be on the inside with us.”
Part of this is losing — winning cures all locker room ills. Losing provides friction that creates heat and fires. But the Heat’s ills that have them loosing to good teams will not be simple to fix: the team’s lack of depth has been exposed, Spoelstra urges them to run more but the pace remains slow, and the offensive sets remain stagnant (whether that is the design or execution of them depends on who you ask).
Right now, the Heat can use this speculation as part of an “us against the world” mentality that fuels them and gets them playing better as a unit. Or, the infighting can tear them apart. It’s early in the season, tis can still go either way.
- Cavaliers coach Blatt: Wiggins “not going anywhere” 23
- It’s official: Carmelo Anthony announces he will remain face of New York Knicks 25
- Report: Paul Pierce to sign two-year deal to join Wizards 68
- Report: Trevor Ariza to sign 4-year, $32 million deal with Rockets 48
- Pau Gasol tweets he has chosen to play for Bulls. Only question is will it be sign-and-trade or not. 59
- LeBron James’ contract two years, $42 million with Cavaliers. That doesn’t mean he’s leaving. 50
- LeBron returns to Cleveland a more efficient, mature player that can take team further 36
- Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker shine in head-to-head Summer League matchup 22