Clevelanders start drive to laugh at LeBron

Nov 29, 2010, 11:58 AM EST

Courting LeBron Basketball

What to do with LeBron when he and the Heat come to Cleveland on Thursday night? Should Clevelanders simply boo him every time he touches the ball? Ignore him, putting up newspapers like a college student section?

How about laugh at him?

LaughAtLeBron is a campaign, first noticed by TerezOwens.com, to try to put together on twitter a unified response to LeBron (via the Boston Globe). It seems to be picking up some steam.

Honestly, this may be the best idea I’ve heard yet. It’s different, it’s deriding and mocking without the personal and family insults that even Dan Gilbert is trying to avoid at Quicken Loans arena. If the crowd Thursday night laughs at him and the plight of the Heat, that would seem fitting.

But fans are trying to come up with other chants, too, which you can see at @Cavs_Chants.

1. hashfest - Nov 29, 2010 at 12:59 PM

It will be easy to laugh…

…the Heat is a JOKE!

Laugh at first…then, mayhem.

Make them afraid…I am serious…make them fear for their safety

2. zblott - Nov 29, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Power Rankings:

3. tk1966 - Nov 29, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Now that’s irony – Clevelanders laughing at someone else. Now, grow up and get over it. LeBron is not the first, nor will he be the last athlete to move on to greener pastures. Your childish attitude about it makes me glad he left.

• hashfest - Nov 29, 2010 at 4:52 PM

So, tk-boy,

It’s ok to laugh at Cleveland?

• lebronsinsecurity - Nov 29, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Childish attitude?? Your whole grow up and get over it rant, (which made absolutely no sense by the way), is as childish as it gets.. I wont even use your silly “childish” comment against you…You already did it to yourself.. Funny thing is I’m not even a Cleveland fan..just call it like I see it

4. geo59 - Nov 29, 2010 at 6:10 PM

I was born in Cleveland and grew up there. I don’t live there now and hearing about the sick behavior of people in Cleveland, towards Lebron, reminds me of why I got out of that backwards city more than 40 years ago. Lebron did nothing to Cleveland except bring millions of dollars to an otherwise economically dying city. And then he made a career decision that was totally his to make. And he did it in a way that responded in kind, to Dan Gilbert and Cleveland’s demeaning treatment. I know how bigoted Clevelanders can be, first hand. The fact that you dumb-f–k, so-called fans are so willing to play into the national media’s racist attempt to vilify this 26 year-old kid only punctuates why Lebron got away from the mistake on the lake. And don’t start talking about race cards because it’s not a card game, trust me. I remember how segregated Cleveland was (east side/west side) and being denied the education I needed. Apparently not much has changed. Cleveland, the city with no brotherly love.

5. downtowndanny - Nov 30, 2010 at 3:51 AM

wow life must really be bad in Cleveland if you guys are still thinking about LBJ. get over it, he has. He played in Cleveland for 7 seasons with half of that being voluntary, hell he should be commended for trying to make it work. Personally I think he lacks heart, but it’s his life, plus he does make good commercials, He’s still one of your own, no matter what you do or say. have some dignity and route for the Cavs instead of routing against dude, besides have you seen Miami this year, this is a very winable game for a Byron Scott team.

• rjrobin1014 - Nov 30, 2010 at 10:27 AM

LBJ is not one of our own……He made it quite clear that his home is AKRON and that he didn’t even like Cleveland……

• rjrobin1014 - Nov 30, 2010 at 10:32 AM

and yes we are still thinking about it…….he embarrassed the city of Cleveland on national television and showed us Cleveland fans absolutely no respect along with quitting in the playoffs. I love the Cavs and of course root for the them but I am also hoping Miami loses, especially because they declared themselves champions, ummm, as lebron put it for next 8 years……That was really classy of “the big 3″ doing the firework show and bragging the night after the decision…..NICE. Hopefully, us cleveland fans, will get closure on Thursday night with a win against the heat….and yes, i will be there to support our CLEVELAND cavaliers…..

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches