Nov 29, 2010, 4:33 PM EDT
UPDATE 4:33 pm: All you hard-core NBA fans in Idaho — both of you — are in luck, because the Antoine Walker comeback parade is headed your way. Walker will be part of the Idaho Stampede, according to Marc Stein at ESPN.
The Stampede did sent Anthony Tolliver and Sundiata Gains, among others, to the NBA last season.
10: 07 am: We’ve talked before of former Celtic and scoring machine Antoine Walker wanting to make an NBA comeback. Mostly for the money, because his former gambling addiction led to some serious debts. We also told you about how he tried to make a comeback starting in the Puerto Rican league last year, but that flamed out. About him working out (and by all reports looking in decent shape) but not getting a camp invite this fall.
Next, apparently, is the D-League, according to Scot Schroeder at FanHouse.
It’s not a bad risk for a D-League team. If Walker — three-time All-Star — is even in the ballpark of his former self, he will put up points at the D-League level. If nothing else, he should be a draw at the gate. If it doesn’t work out, you cut him loose.
Walker needs to prove himself to skeptical NBA front offices, and playing well in the D-League would do that. Expect him to give a full effort. We’ll see if that is enough.
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 15
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 32
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21