Nov 29, 2010, 4:33 PM EST
UPDATE 4:33 pm: All you hard-core NBA fans in Idaho — both of you — are in luck, because the Antoine Walker comeback parade is headed your way. Walker will be part of the Idaho Stampede, according to Marc Stein at ESPN.
The Stampede did sent Anthony Tolliver and Sundiata Gains, among others, to the NBA last season.
10: 07 am: We’ve talked before of former Celtic and scoring machine Antoine Walker wanting to make an NBA comeback. Mostly for the money, because his former gambling addiction led to some serious debts. We also told you about how he tried to make a comeback starting in the Puerto Rican league last year, but that flamed out. About him working out (and by all reports looking in decent shape) but not getting a camp invite this fall.
Next, apparently, is the D-League, according to Scot Schroeder at FanHouse.
It’s not a bad risk for a D-League team. If Walker — three-time All-Star — is even in the ballpark of his former self, he will put up points at the D-League level. If nothing else, he should be a draw at the gate. If it doesn’t work out, you cut him loose.
Walker needs to prove himself to skeptical NBA front offices, and playing well in the D-League would do that. Expect him to give a full effort. We’ll see if that is enough.
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 17
- Is Carmelo Anthony’s smart play to opt in and play out contract with Knicks? 15
- LeBron says he has open door policy, would certainly speak to Paul George 28
- Report: Knicks met with Phil Jackson about coaching them 42
- Extra Pass: Golden State Warriors defending at historically high level 5