Nov 29, 2010, 4:33 PM EDT
UPDATE 4:33 pm: All you hard-core NBA fans in Idaho — both of you — are in luck, because the Antoine Walker comeback parade is headed your way. Walker will be part of the Idaho Stampede, according to Marc Stein at ESPN.
The Stampede did sent Anthony Tolliver and Sundiata Gains, among others, to the NBA last season.
10: 07 am: We’ve talked before of former Celtic and scoring machine Antoine Walker wanting to make an NBA comeback. Mostly for the money, because his former gambling addiction led to some serious debts. We also told you about how he tried to make a comeback starting in the Puerto Rican league last year, but that flamed out. About him working out (and by all reports looking in decent shape) but not getting a camp invite this fall.
Next, apparently, is the D-League, according to Scot Schroeder at FanHouse.
It’s not a bad risk for a D-League team. If Walker — three-time All-Star — is even in the ballpark of his former self, he will put up points at the D-League level. If nothing else, he should be a draw at the gate. If it doesn’t work out, you cut him loose.
Walker needs to prove himself to skeptical NBA front offices, and playing well in the D-League would do that. Expect him to give a full effort. We’ll see if that is enough.
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 8
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 50
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 58
- Trail Blazers assistant coach: ‘We didn’t publicize it, but we lost LaMarcus Aldridge’ 9
- Who is left on the board after wild first day of NBA free agency? 29
- Report: Warriors, Draymond Green agree to five-year, $85 million deal 19
- 76ers get Nik Stauskas, first-rounder in salary-dump trade with Kings 54
- Report: Pelicans finalizing deal with Omer Asik 3