Nov 28, 2010, 12:08 PM EDT
It looked so promising — Stephon Marbury had become the biggest name in the Chinese Basketball Association, seemingly transforming a moribund franchise in a quiet city into the talk of the Chinese Basketball Association. After a sort exile from the NBA he found a place where he was the man and had found a good market for his shoe brand.
Then, it broke off this season, according to NUIBBall. No contract extension could be reached because the Shanxi Brave Dragons (is there another kind?) asked him to take a severe pay cut, according to some reports. That or be a player/assistant coach. Marbury didn’t want that. While we’ve questioned some of his decisions in the past, it seems like he was in the right here (at least from what we know of the story).
“This whole thing is completely shocking to Marbury because this summer, Shanxi said they were signing him to a contract,” (editor of Titan Sports and close friend of Marbury) Yang (Yi) said. ”Plus, he had already arrived in Taiyuan. But, the day before yesterday, the general manager Zhang Aijun and the team’s owner all of the sudden notified him that they weren’t going to sign him. To an athlete, that’s just irresponsible.”
The timing of Shanxi’s decision is most problematic. With the new season quickly approaching, every team has signed their limit of two non-Asian imports, so Marbury is essentially stuck without a team.
“If they said they weren’t going to sign him a month ago, then Marbury still would have had a lot of other opportunities because there are still some teams who are quite interested in him. But now, every CBA team has already signed their import players, so it’s going to be real tough for Marbury to find a team to play with.”
“He’s disappointed in Shanxi. This is treachery. Marbury isn’t strapped for cash, he doesn’t need to play in China because he needs money. He just feels really sad because he loves Shanxi. This summer he was working out and keeping his body in shape. He feels really hurt by the team.”
Not sure I ever really expected to feel sorry for Marbury again, but here we are. And I do.
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 18
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 2
- Hawks’ excellent season shouldn’t be discredited because of playoff exit 24
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 82
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 23
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0