Nov 27, 2010, 8:00 PM EDT
Brendan Haywood has been watching his minutes get squeezed by the rejuvenated play of Tyson Chandler — then on Friday he didn’t play at all.
That’s because he was suspended for a game after getting into an argument with Dallas coach Rick Carlisle, according to an ESPNDallas report.
New York-based agent Andy Miller said Saturday in a phone interview that the dispute was a “one-time isolated discussion” that had nothing to do with Haywood’s diminished role on the team in recent weeks.
Sources with knowledge of the incident confirmed that account Saturday, telling ESPNDallas.com that the Mavericks decided to send Haywood back to Dallas after the shootaround and hold him out of an eventual 103-94 victory over the rival San Antonio Spurs because of what was deemed an over-the-line outburst directed at Carlisle…
“It happened at shootaround and had nothing to do with his role on the team,” Miller said. “My understanding is he and Rick always had a very good relationship and yesterday’s misunderstanding doesn’t change that.”
I wasn’t there and certainly the actual argument may well have not been about his role on the team. But how often are arguments you have about something that has nothing to do with the actual issue eating at everyone? If you’ve ever been in a relationship, you just nodded. Not sure if that is what happened here, just sayin’.
This is a relationship that needs to work out — Hayward signed a six-year. $55 million deal with the Mavericks this summer. Not only do they need him as a backup behind Chandler (who has had injury issues in the past) but also it’s not likely they can trade Hayward and that deal. Everyone is going to have to learn to get along.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 0
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 28
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 17
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 42
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 15
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6