Nov 27, 2010, 8:00 PM EST
Brendan Haywood has been watching his minutes get squeezed by the rejuvenated play of Tyson Chandler — then on Friday he didn’t play at all.
That’s because he was suspended for a game after getting into an argument with Dallas coach Rick Carlisle, according to an ESPNDallas report.
New York-based agent Andy Miller said Saturday in a phone interview that the dispute was a “one-time isolated discussion” that had nothing to do with Haywood’s diminished role on the team in recent weeks.
Sources with knowledge of the incident confirmed that account Saturday, telling ESPNDallas.com that the Mavericks decided to send Haywood back to Dallas after the shootaround and hold him out of an eventual 103-94 victory over the rival San Antonio Spurs because of what was deemed an over-the-line outburst directed at Carlisle…
“It happened at shootaround and had nothing to do with his role on the team,” Miller said. “My understanding is he and Rick always had a very good relationship and yesterday’s misunderstanding doesn’t change that.”
I wasn’t there and certainly the actual argument may well have not been about his role on the team. But how often are arguments you have about something that has nothing to do with the actual issue eating at everyone? If you’ve ever been in a relationship, you just nodded. Not sure if that is what happened here, just sayin’.
This is a relationship that needs to work out — Hayward signed a six-year. $55 million deal with the Mavericks this summer. Not only do they need him as a backup behind Chandler (who has had injury issues in the past) but also it’s not likely they can trade Hayward and that deal. Everyone is going to have to learn to get along.
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 1
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 1
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 5
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 1
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 5
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 25
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 10