Nov 27, 2010, 8:00 PM EDT
Brendan Haywood has been watching his minutes get squeezed by the rejuvenated play of Tyson Chandler — then on Friday he didn’t play at all.
That’s because he was suspended for a game after getting into an argument with Dallas coach Rick Carlisle, according to an ESPNDallas report.
New York-based agent Andy Miller said Saturday in a phone interview that the dispute was a “one-time isolated discussion” that had nothing to do with Haywood’s diminished role on the team in recent weeks.
Sources with knowledge of the incident confirmed that account Saturday, telling ESPNDallas.com that the Mavericks decided to send Haywood back to Dallas after the shootaround and hold him out of an eventual 103-94 victory over the rival San Antonio Spurs because of what was deemed an over-the-line outburst directed at Carlisle…
“It happened at shootaround and had nothing to do with his role on the team,” Miller said. “My understanding is he and Rick always had a very good relationship and yesterday’s misunderstanding doesn’t change that.”
I wasn’t there and certainly the actual argument may well have not been about his role on the team. But how often are arguments you have about something that has nothing to do with the actual issue eating at everyone? If you’ve ever been in a relationship, you just nodded. Not sure if that is what happened here, just sayin’.
This is a relationship that needs to work out — Hayward signed a six-year. $55 million deal with the Mavericks this summer. Not only do they need him as a backup behind Chandler (who has had injury issues in the past) but also it’s not likely they can trade Hayward and that deal. Everyone is going to have to learn to get along.
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 3
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 20
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 6
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 7
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 23
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 62
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 4