Nov 27, 2010, 3:27 PM EDT
Toronto’s Reggie Evans is rebounding better than anyone in the NBA — he is grabbing 26 percent of the available rebounds when he is on the floor (Kevin Love is second at 23.4 percent). Evans is getting better than one in four rebounds. It was that presence inside that has allowed Andrea Bargnani to do whatever it is that he does out on the perimeter.
Make that, Evans was one of the better rebounders.
Reggie Evans has broken his foot and he will be out for an extended period of time, according to the Toronto Sun (no timetable has been set as scans are still taking place and specialists are still being consulted). He broke it in third quarter of the loss to the Celtics Friday night.
Amir Johnson will get the start, and he’s played well this season. He’s a good rebounder, just not the beast on the boards Evans is. Johnson does bring a little more offensive punch to the starting lineup.
But the Raptors are not exactly a deep team up front, and this will certainly hurt them there.
Also, Evans had emerged as a locker room leader. As The Score’s Holly MacKenzie noted, it was Evans that called a team meeting after the Raptors got smoked by Washington, then they went on a four-game winning streak after the game. More than the rebounds, that may even be harder to replace.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 27
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 34
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4