Nov 26, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
Hello Goran Dragic. We’re looking right at you.
Steve Nash has averaged 34.8 minutes per game this season, which is up two minutes a game from last season. The man is 36, has groin and foot soreness this season, and has been battling a bad back since, roughly, 1978. Nash needs to be playing fewer minutes, not more. Not 49, like he did in the double OT game against the Bulls Wednesday.
Coach Alvin Gentry knows that but said he’s had no choice, as reported by the Arizona Republic.
“(Dragic) didn’t play very good and, as a result of that, I have to play Steve too many minutes,” Gentry said. “Forty-nine minutes for Steve is too damn many. Then I got another guy out there (Hill) who plays 46 minutes and should be playing about 30 in a double-overtime game. So we’ve got to get the bench playing well again.”
“It’s not fair to him,” forward Grant Hill said of Nash. “Dealing with the (groin) thing, and his foot’s hurting him. He gave it all he had out there and did a good job. When we don’t go to him, we’ve got to be a little sharper with execution.”
Dragic seemed to take a step forward late last season and into the playoffs, but so far this season he has been average. Not good enough when you have Steve Nash as your other option. But at some point Gentry needs to go to Dragic or get someone to step up, because the Suns will need Nash come the playoffs and if he has to play this many minutes the Nash that is left in late April will be a shadow of the one that is playing so well right now.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 17
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 8
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 14
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save