Nov 25, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
It is great to have a president that loves basketball, that plays the game, that gets it. I love that there is a basketball court at the White House and Spaulding leather balls with the presidential seal on them. I love that the world’s best players get invited to pickup games there.
That also means Barack Obama gets asked about everything going on in the world of basketball. Like, say, the Miami Heat getting off to a less-than-impressive 8-7 start to the season.
When asked about the Heat, Obama fell back on a theme he uses a lot — patience.
“It takes some time for the team to come together,” Obama said. “There’s no ‘I’ in team. So no matter how good a player is, no matter how good a group of players are, if they haven’t played together before they are not going to be as good as a team that has played together a long time.”
So, give the Heat time. Just like the economy. And the health care bill. And…
Now, if the president wants to really use his power to help the game, next spring get some federal mediators in a room with David Stern and Billy Hunter — make a call himself if he has to — and get them to avoid a lockout.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 31
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 28
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?