Nov 25, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
Dexter Pittman couldn’t crack the Heat’s underwhelming center rotation, and the addition of Erick Dampier has made Pittman even more unnecessary in Miami. Thus, according to Ethan J. Skolnick of the Palm Beach Post, the Heat have decided to send the rookie big man to their D-League affiliate in Sioux Falls rather than bury Pittman even deeper on the bench. The Skyforce should definitely benefit from having a traditional pivot like Pittman around, and Pitt desperately needs professional experience to tighten up his game.
At present, Pittman isn’t an NBA caliber-player. His size, length, and underrated athleticism can earn him a place in the league if he ever learns how to properly tap into those strengths. He’s still a few years away from accomplishing that much. The Pittman of today is far too likely to underestimate his opponent on the block, clear out with an elbow, or average 12 fouls per 36 minutes. Those things weren’t likely to change with Pittman glued to the bench, and one can only hope that his less attractive habits start to disappear in the D. The Skyforce won’t be a cure-all for Pittman, but a stint in the D-League sure beats the alternative.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 0
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 12
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14