Nov 25, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
Dexter Pittman couldn’t crack the Heat’s underwhelming center rotation, and the addition of Erick Dampier has made Pittman even more unnecessary in Miami. Thus, according to Ethan J. Skolnick of the Palm Beach Post, the Heat have decided to send the rookie big man to their D-League affiliate in Sioux Falls rather than bury Pittman even deeper on the bench. The Skyforce should definitely benefit from having a traditional pivot like Pittman around, and Pitt desperately needs professional experience to tighten up his game.
At present, Pittman isn’t an NBA caliber-player. His size, length, and underrated athleticism can earn him a place in the league if he ever learns how to properly tap into those strengths. He’s still a few years away from accomplishing that much. The Pittman of today is far too likely to underestimate his opponent on the block, clear out with an elbow, or average 12 fouls per 36 minutes. Those things weren’t likely to change with Pittman glued to the bench, and one can only hope that his less attractive habits start to disappear in the D. The Skyforce won’t be a cure-all for Pittman, but a stint in the D-League sure beats the alternative.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18