Nov 25, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
Dexter Pittman couldn’t crack the Heat’s underwhelming center rotation, and the addition of Erick Dampier has made Pittman even more unnecessary in Miami. Thus, according to Ethan J. Skolnick of the Palm Beach Post, the Heat have decided to send the rookie big man to their D-League affiliate in Sioux Falls rather than bury Pittman even deeper on the bench. The Skyforce should definitely benefit from having a traditional pivot like Pittman around, and Pitt desperately needs professional experience to tighten up his game.
At present, Pittman isn’t an NBA caliber-player. His size, length, and underrated athleticism can earn him a place in the league if he ever learns how to properly tap into those strengths. He’s still a few years away from accomplishing that much. The Pittman of today is far too likely to underestimate his opponent on the block, clear out with an elbow, or average 12 fouls per 36 minutes. Those things weren’t likely to change with Pittman glued to the bench, and one can only hope that his less attractive habits start to disappear in the D. The Skyforce won’t be a cure-all for Pittman, but a stint in the D-League sure beats the alternative.
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 17
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 76
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 9
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36